Converting home theater to 5.1

Madmaxableharl

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
hey there, I own a SONY DAV-TZ140, a 5.1 home box theater. it has good quality sound and naturally all the elements required in a 5.1 sound system, but because it's a box system, I can't connect it to any devices like a PC or a console and get true 5.1 surround sound. if it had an optical audio input, I wouldn't have a problem, but it doesn't so that suggests I need to get either a 5.1 amplifier with an optical audio input OR one with rca cables/ both (preferably both), does anybody have any suggestions to what I can do/ what product I can buy, because I can't bear to waste such nice speakers and replace them with a new 5.1 when I've already got half the stuff here! thanks loads guys, any contribution to this forum is appreciated :D

Solution
If you replaced the main unit with an AV receiver that would give you the inputs you want and a lot more power and features but you would also have to add an amp for the subwoofer or a new self powered subwoofer since the amp for the passive one you have is in the HTS main unit. AV receivers never have the subwoofer amp built in. That would put you in a good position to upgrade the speakers later. If your budget will handle that then do it.
If it can't then getting an up to date HTS with the inputs you want will be cheaper. Since the Sony is pretty modest in price I don't think the speakers will be a great loss if you go this direction.
If you replaced the main unit with an AV receiver that would give you the inputs you want and a lot more power and features but you would also have to add an amp for the subwoofer or a new self powered subwoofer since the amp for the passive one you have is in the HTS main unit. AV receivers never have the subwoofer amp built in. That would put you in a good position to upgrade the speakers later. If your budget will handle that then do it.
If it can't then getting an up to date HTS with the inputs you want will be cheaper. Since the Sony is pretty modest in price I don't think the speakers will be a great loss if you go this direction.

Solution