Converting RAM into VRAM on a low end laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2018
Hello!

My question requires expertise in hardware.
I want to ask that should I be focusing on adding more ram to my laptop to improve its gaming performance because when I add more ram I will have the ability to convert the ram into vram and eventually increase gaming performance. The reason behind is that I can't carry my PC everywhere and I need to travel a lot now a days so I want some decent performance from a low end laptop that I have got.

My Laptop's Specs:
Core i3 - 4010u [4 CPUS Clocked at: 1.7GHZ]
RAM: 4 GB DDR3L
Graphics: Intel HD 4400 [Was 128MB, then i upgraded it to 512MB by using my ram]

Please be specific with your answer, I just want to buy ram and convert it into vram, I don't want any new laptop so please just focus on that point. Thank you very much!​

Solution
Assuming you have "enough free RAM", the Intel HD 4400 can have a max of 2GB of VRAM.

I have 8GB of RAM in my laptop. The only program I have running running is Firefox and according to Task Manage, my laptop is currently using 33% of the RAM or about 2.67GB. Firefox is only using about 75MB so Windows 10 is basically using everything else. So basically 5.33GB if left over. Windows does not allow all the RAM to be used... since I have 8GB of RAM let's just say Windows reserves about 500MB of RAM for miscellaneous processes and data swapping that takes place in the background that brings the available amount of RAM down to 4.83GB.

If whatever game I am playing does not use more than 2.83GB of RAM, my Intel HD 4400 should be able to...
G

There's more to game hardware requirements than just the amount of RAM that's installed.

The CPU & GPU are also just as important, if not more so with some games.

Furthermore, unless your Windows is 64-bit, having more than 4GB RAM installed won't make any difference at all.

Jun 25, 2018
Processor:Intel® Core™ i3-4010U Processor (3M Cache, 1.70 GHz)
Graphics adapter: Intel® HD Graphics 4400
Main memory: 4 GB (1x 4 GB) DDR3L
Memory channel: Single
Windows: 10 64 BIT

Assuming you have "enough free RAM", the Intel HD 4400 can have a max of 2GB of VRAM.

I have 8GB of RAM in my laptop. The only program I have running running is Firefox and according to Task Manage, my laptop is currently using 33% of the RAM or about 2.67GB. Firefox is only using about 75MB so Windows 10 is basically using everything else. So basically 5.33GB if left over. Windows does not allow all the RAM to be used... since I have 8GB of RAM let's just say Windows reserves about 500MB of RAM for miscellaneous processes and data swapping that takes place in the background that brings the available amount of RAM down to 4.83GB.

If whatever game I am playing does not use more than 2.83GB of RAM, my Intel HD 4400 should be able to access 2GB of VRAM. However, the Intel HD 4400 is pretty weak and DDR3 RAM is pretty slow so just because the is 2GB of VRAM available to the Intel HD 4400 that does not mean you will have better gaming performance. Remember two very important things that can slow down performance:

#1 - Loading a lot large textures into VRAM using slow system RAM take time and can decrease performance especially in an open world game where every time you look around textures get deleted from VRAM as other textures are loaded into VRAM.
#2 - The Intel HD 4400 is a weak iGPU. It also has to apply those textures to the game as well as processing other things.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.