Convince My Parents / Librarian: Why Chromebook?

thomasshera

Estimable
Jun 10, 2015
Hello,

My school librarian said we can't use Chromebooks for school because they don't have enough memory (HDD/SSD memory, not RAM). However, I know Chromebooks are 3 times cheaper than comparably speedy Windows laptops, and they are more secure (because Chrome OS is more secure).

iPads and Surface Pros are also not recommended because "they don't have enough memory".

Also, I've heard Chromebooks can have the SSD changed (if you're willing to void the warranty, which, at Chromebook prices, is a risk I can live with).

Any other advantages to Chromebooks (budget, security, ease of use, etc.) I should mention? It's not that we will be running Windows-only programs, so there's no inherent problem with a Chromebook other than the low memory, which I know the SSD can be modified, and there is always a micro SD or SD card slot.

Thanks!

Any other advantages to Chromebooks (budget, security, ease of use, etc.) I should mention?

Solution
Chrome OS is generally not more "secure" than Windows. Since not as many people use Chomebooks compared to PCs hackers tends not to focus on Chrome OS because it is not worth hackers' time to infect a very small population when they can infect a much larger popular of devices using Windows. The same thing can be said for Mac OS.

There are actually entry level laptops that competes against Chromebook on price. You get full Windows 8.1 on a laptop that basically uses the same components as Chromebook. These entry laptops (and Chromebooks) use Intel's Atom CPUs which are less expensive and less powerful than Intel's Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs. They get the job done for average daily use without any issues, but they can be a bit sluggish if you...

apcgamer

Estimable
May 13, 2015
Sounds like you are going to a need a Windows-based laptop for installing programs...Why else would you need more memory? I might ask the librarian for a list of approved/recommended devices. The only other benefit: You can install Linux on a Chromebook--sort of a pain.

Chrome OS is generally not more "secure" than Windows. Since not as many people use Chomebooks compared to PCs hackers tends not to focus on Chrome OS because it is not worth hackers' time to infect a very small population when they can infect a much larger popular of devices using Windows. The same thing can be said for Mac OS.

There are actually entry level laptops that competes against Chromebook on price. You get full Windows 8.1 on a laptop that basically uses the same components as Chromebook. These entry laptops (and Chromebooks) use Intel's Atom CPUs which are less expensive and less powerful than Intel's Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs. They get the job done for average daily use without any issues, but they can be a bit sluggish if you are trying to CPU intensive tasks.

Since these types of laptops are capable of competing against Chromebook in terms of price (more or less), it is generally better to buy one of these entry level laptops with Windows 8.1. These laptops are more versatile because you can basically use any programs that is compatible with Windows 8.1.

The 11.6" HP Stream 11 is a pretty popular entry level laptop for $200. The biggest limiting factor is the 32GB of internal storage (actual is less because Windows need to use that as well), but it can be expanded with an SD card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-xgNlp-L7A

If I were to buy a very inexpensive laptop then I would get the $250 14" Dell Inspiron 14 3000. Same CPU as the HP Stream 11 (Celeron N2840), but it has a 500GB hard drive and of course it has a 14" screen instead of a 11.6" screen. It compete with the more expensive Chromebooks that uses nVidia's Tegra CPU that sells for the same price or more, but those Chromebooks can have pretty limited storage.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14-3451-laptop/pd?p=inspiron-14-3451-laptop&oc=fndof003s&st=pla&dgc=ST&cid=287192&lid=5499029&acd=1230980731501410&isredir=true

It is possible to increase the storage capacity in some Chromebooks, but you need to find one that uses SSD storage (mSATA or M.2). I am pretty sure (but not positive) that eMMC storage is soldered into place.

Solution