Cooling a poorly designed netbook

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
So, I have an AMD C-60 APU in an Acer Aspire One AO-722 11.6" netbook. I'm having a problem with temperatures. I usually idle around 60c, but now that's summer the temperatures are a lot warmer. Just yesterday, browsing the web, my temps were around 79-81c. This is concerning since I also like to game, particularly Rome: Total War, and I'm thinking about getting TF2 installed as well. I know the max temp threshold is 90, which I can easily pass running Furmark and Prime96 simultaneously in an AC'd coffee shop.

I am on a netbook cooler, but I don't use the fan since I haven't found any intake vents, just a single dinky exhaust vent on the left side that's about the width of the VGA port.

Does anyone have creative tips for keeping my temps lower? Or am I just screwed with temps?

It should also be noted that I replaced the 5400RPM HDD with a Crucial M4 SSD.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
You can try undervolting if you find a software program to do so. (I doubt the BIOS will let you) Replace the thermal paste? Use it in a walk in freezer ;)

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I believe I looked into this before, but it might have been for Linux specifically. I'll do some more research and see if there is at least anything on the Windows end.

:lol: Why didn't I think of this? :eek: I'll probably do this as a last resort since I did at one plan on reselling this. But then again, how much could I get out of it?

Loving the answers! :wahoo:

Pyree

Distinguished
The problem is somehow the designer/engineering forgot to put in some intake vent for that nettop. No, I am not joking, I though jerm1027 made a typo, but when I looked at the pictures, there really isn't any intake.