Copying a program from a DVR to a thumb drive

SunniMorris

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014
I have a Dish DVR box and I recorded a nature TV program. I want to copy this program onto a thumb drive. There is a USB slot on the back of my Dish DVR box, but I don't know how to access it because it doesn't come up in a menu anywhere. Is it even possible to do something like this? My TV is a Panasonic plasma Viera Link that is almost two years old. Can anyone tell me how to do this in plain English? Also, if this is possible, is an 8 GB thumb drive large enough for an hour program? Thanks, Sunni

Solution
The USB ports on such devices are normally used to play material from USB sticks or hard disks, or to use them as additional storage. But, in general, you won't be able to copy recorded material in a form that means anything to a computer or other player. This is for copyright reasons. My Panasonic DVR can be used in this way; but if you use a USB disk for additional storage it can only play back on the same device (it wouldn't even work with another identical model).

Ijack

Distinguished
The USB ports on such devices are normally used to play material from USB sticks or hard disks, or to use them as additional storage. But, in general, you won't be able to copy recorded material in a form that means anything to a computer or other player. This is for copyright reasons. My Panasonic DVR can be used in this way; but if you use a USB disk for additional storage it can only play back on the same device (it wouldn't even work with another identical model).

Solution