News Cord cutting in 7 easy steps: Leave cable TV behind

SleepyD

Estimable
Nov 14, 2020
Pick a list of channels you need. I don’t think there are any channels that you need. There are channels that you want. I think that’s why a lot of people just continue to pay too much for TV and not cut the cord because they think they need certain channels. It’s just TV.

Reactions: craig2web
Mar 13, 2021
Why doesn't this article mention Locast? I understand that they're controversial and may not last forever if the big broadcaster gets their way, but for now, in many markets is a great way to get your local channels. This was my one true problem with cutting the cord, and I didn't want to buy an expesive package from Hulu or Sling.

Reactions: craig2web
Mar 13, 2021
I love my YouTube tv. sure it cost as much as cable, BUT here in Chicago anyway, I'm not paying the 40 to 50 dollar a month fees and government taxes that come with a Comcast cable bill

Mar 14, 2021
Trying to start cord cutting and leave cable TV in the rear view mirror? Here's what to you need to do.

Cord cutting in 7 easy steps: Leave cable TV behind : Read more
Have you looked into Spectrum streaming? Its not on their website, but it is offered to people who subscribe to their internet only service or you can just ask their online chat support. I get many cable channels for around 15 dollars, plus several premium channels including HBO, Showtime, Epix, and Starz for an extra 15 dollars and I added local channels for 10 dollars. It also comes in three tiers. Spectrum TV stream which is what I use, Spectrum TV Essentials, and Spectrum TV choice (you choose 10 different channels, and includes 5 local channels and music channels). With Spectrum internet at a grandfathered price of 45, I am around $99 per month with taxes and fees. The only thing is that their support for devices is limited to Apple TV, Android and iPhone devices, Roku when it comes back to their service, and some tvs and computer. You can forget about Fire TV devices and Android TV devices.

Oct 3, 2020
Have you looked into Spectrum streaming? Its not on their website, but it is offered to people who subscribe to their internet only service or you can just ask their online chat support. I get many cable channels for around 15 dollars, plus several premium channels including HBO, Showtime, Epix, and Starz for an extra 15 dollars and I added local channels for 10 dollars. It also comes in three tiers. Spectrum TV stream which is what I use, Spectrum TV Essentials, and Spectrum TV choice (you choose 10 different channels, and includes 5 local channels and music channels). With Spectrum internet at a grandfathered price of 45, I am around $99 per month with taxes and fees. The only thing is that their support for devices is limited to Apple TV, Android and iPhone devices, Roku when it comes back to their service, and some tvs and computer. You can forget about Fire TV devices and Android TV devices.
This is the reason I've avoided Spectrum streaming. You said it yourself - your internet is $45, but with the addition of streaming, it's more than doubled your price especially with the taxes and fees. I currently have Spectrum internet at $38 and certainly don't want to double that for the "privilege" of getting a handful of cable channels.

Oct 3, 2020
I cut the cable TV cord over a decade ago. Following the recommendations in the article, my own first recommendation would be rather than making a list of channels that you want, simply make a list of the types of content that you want. Then simply search for that type of content, and be open to shows/networks/providers you may not be familiar with yet, but you may find just as (if not more) enjoyable. If you hold yourself hostage to a specific show or channel, you're likely to pay a high price for that 'privilege' that really isn't worth it in the end. My main free sources of video content are YouTube, IMDB TV, Peacock and Pluto TV. YouTube has just about any type of video you could want, and Pluto mimics the same TV genres you find on cable TV.

Besides breaking out the antenna for local content, there are a number of free apps available on the various streaming devices that aggregate local news broadcasts such as NewsON, Haystack News, and LocalNow. Pluto, besides having a great lineup of news from outlets like Cheddar, Newsy, and CNN, with live streams of Bloomberg, CBSN, NBC News Now, Sky News and WeatherNation, also has local news from around a dozen CBSN local affiliates.

With all of the above available for free, most would probably find more than enough great content to keep them happy indefinitely. Personally, I don't think any of the 'live' TV services are worth the price, although T-Mobile's TVision $10 Vibe tier is pretty cheap for about 30 live entertainment channels. I personally splurged for the Premium version of Peacock while it was on special ($30/year, which works out to $2.50/month) and also subscribed to the VOD version of Hulu while it was on sale for $2/month during the holidays. So keep your eyes peeled for specials when they make themselves available.

USAFRet

Illustrious
One serious impediment to the cord cutting is the SAF.
Spouse Acceptance Factor.

We tried it years ago.
Yes, there is a lot of free content on utube and other websites.
But it is NOT as easy as click on the remote to ABC/CNN/DIY/whatever. Free digital local over the air.

If it were just me, I would have cut that cord a decade ago.