akorzan

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Does the Core i7 run hot on laptops. I know this sounds like a stupid question. My belief is that the Core 2 series was designed mainly to be efficient and powerful. They were first generally aimed at laptops (Pentium M, Core Duo and then Core 2 Duo) and then there was a desktop counterpart made. But the core i7 was originally aimed at desktops and designed for performance more than power requirements (hence the original TDP of 135W). Taking a desktop brand processor and tweaking it into a mobile processor can have some consequences with heat and power management: i.e. Pentium 4 to Pentium 4M.
So, my question is: does the core i7 for laptops run hot and loud?

With a 55 watt TDP, these initial i7's will run a little warm. But how warm is going to depend on how well the laptop it is in can handle that heat. The same goes for noise. A laptop that is poorly equipped is going to need to run the fans at higher speeds for longer.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009

akorzan

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Thank you,
I have done some research and found that:
Pentium 4M 3.2 Ghz: 76 W TDP o_O
Pentium M: around 25 W
Core 2 Duo: 35-45W
Core I7: 45W, extreme at 55W
(All are typical main stream processors at their release time. No ULV/LV or super powerful processors considered)

I made the mistake of buying a long time ago a Pentium 4M 3.2 Ghz in a Sony Viao. The thing is louder than my old CD player in my computer at full speed. (Greater than 50db probably)

I am looking at the Dell Studio 15 with the core i7. My experience with dell is relatively good in respect to cooling solutions.