Core i7 HP laptop super slow

fb767

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Hi, my HP Pavillion DV6-3194CA laptop (XG752UA) starts freezing, lagging and generally being slow even in the simplest of tasks (even having a youtube video, or a few tabs open) it's much worse when doing such things as gaming (becomes unbearably slow at about 15 frames per second on lowest settings (BFBC2 for example)) and video editing (again, very bad lag. Our i3 laptop doesn't even lag). I have done virus scan after virus scan and am clean. Power management is set to highest performance. When ever I start doing anything, the processor picks up, and the fans sounds like a race car. It's depressing really .

Specs: Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz, 6GB memory, ATI 5650HD

This laptop is less than a year old.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

fb767

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Hey, I did CHKDSK and it didn't seem like any issues arose :(.

With the specs listed in the OP, does the slowness seem abnormal?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

fb767

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Thanks for the reply, I tried HWmonitor and got http://i.imgur.com/H33hc.jpg, this is with the laptop being on for only a little while and not running any heavy software, only Chrome and without a cooling pad (but I do have one that I use otherwise).

With the specs listed in the OP, do these slowness issues seem weird?

Thanks for the help!

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
no on my laptop with an i7 i see 95 degrees when i do something intense but normally ride in the mid to high 60's. but thats with a SB i7, my old first gen i7 though ran about that hot.

the only thing i can think of is running a registry cleaner and defragmenting your hard drive.

try ccleaner and smart defrag 2 for that.

someam

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Hello fb767,

Have you tried cleaning the vents? If the problem persists I would recommend contacting HP since you mentioned the unit is less then a year old. If you need any assistance with contacting HP please feel free to email me your product and contact information to psgsocialmedia@hp.com. Please include in the subject line Attn: Veronica-Toms.

wjohnson

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
Yes, for most cases a slow HP is caused by system issues rather than hardware. Problems such as overload startup programs, corrupt registry issues, too many junks, virus attack, poor security software (taking too much system resources) etc can make any aging even brand new HP laptop freeze or die. The fact is you should keep some system maintenance job regularly. See this site speed up HP for related tricks. Meanwhile, buying a cooling pad is highly recommended to get your laptop some wind in summer :)