Corp. Warfare: Activision Calls Lawsuit 'Meritless'

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I hope they win their Lawsuit, their is plenty of Money laying around
at Activision these day's. They fired em then denied them their cut of
the Royalty's, can you say spineless Bastards? I just love how these big companys take a dump on employee's the first chance they get. I'm sure we will here the truth sooner than later.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I hope they win, big times. Bobby (Infamous Activision CEO) needs a huge kick in the ass, not like his moral compass would benefit from it - its gone - likely sold to the devil himself!

I sure hope blizzard find some way to leave Activision before Mr.Kontic's greed corrupts them beyond repair.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]kenjiuchimura[/nom]Is Modern Warfare 'actually' a separate IP? Considering that the CoD name is in every listing of MW2, I don't think it is.[/citation]

As far as I Know, Call of Duty franchise have two main developers: Infinity Ward and Treyarch. The very first Call of Duty is made by Treyarch, Modern Warfare series are developed by Infinity Ward. The last Call of Duty made by Treyarch is Call of Duty World At War. Well at least it is something like this. Please someone correct me if wrong. Thanks

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Modern Warfare is owned by IW per the renewal contract in 2008, as are, contractually, every call of duty game produced after the vietnam war.

And my, what interesting wording. Obligations to Activision? You mean like developing the best selling game ever? I'm not sure what else matters, really.

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Athreex[/nom]As far as I Know, Call of Duty franchise have two main developers: Infinity Ward and Treyarch. The very first Call of Duty is made by Treyarch, Modern Warfare series are developed by Infinity Ward. The last Call of Duty made by Treyarch is Call of Duty World At War. Well at least it is something like this. Please someone correct me if wrong. Thanks[/citation]

Treyarch worked on the first COD with Infinity Ward, with IW doing most of the work. Activision published it. Treyarch I believe did world at war and also COD3 which never made it to PC. Infinity Ward in my opinion has always been a great studio (going as far back as the medal on honor series with MOH: Allied Assault being the greatest in my opinion) I really do believe Activision has done wrong on this one as many of us do. The two executives deserve a great amount of praise for developing the COD series but i feel that MW2 fucking blows ass.

garandx

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
According to the MOU, (memorandum of understanding, which by the way is being submitted to the court) that west, zampella and activision agreeded to in order to get west and zampella to stay on with IW and make MW2, it states:

"First, the MOU gives West and Zampella creative authority over the development of any games under the Modern Warfare brand (or any Call of Duty game set in the post-Vietnam era, the near future or the distant future) including complete control over the Infinity Ward studio. The MOU explicitly provides that no such game can be commercially released without the written consent of West and Zampella. Second, the MOU gives West and Zampella the right to operate Infinity Ward independently and to choose to develop new intellectual property after they completed Modern Warfare 2. Third, in addition to the standard and bonus compensation in the Employment Agreement, Activision agreed to pay Plaintiffs and the Infinity Ward studio additional compensatio, including a pool of Restricted Stock Units, stock options, a royalty for any Call of Duty game, a technology royalty for any Activision game that makes significant use of Infinity Ward technology, and a royalty for Modern Warfare 2 and future titles."

Hmmmmm.....

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
i will volunteer to say this for the n-th time .... if it ain't broke, don't fix it ...... again they thought they were fixing their number one team by firing those two employees and now look what has happened.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Ramar[/nom]Modern Warfare is owned by IW per the renewal contract in 2008, as are, contractually, every call of duty game produced after the vietnam war.And my, what interesting wording. Obligations to Activision? You mean like developing the best selling game ever? I'm not sure what else matters, really.[/citation]
Best selling? Yes. Actually worth playing?
I liked the airport scene (how am I supposed to decimate all these enemies if the recoil n my rifle makes me shoot the ceiling> Guess I need to shoot at them some more), but really, nothing else.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Personally I don't care, as far as I am concerned, both IW and Activision sold out long ago.
Activison have always gone for the profit line, but then all publishers do, they are like the music publishers, corporate leeches that suck the talent and revenue out of everything, its expected, we all hate them for it, but they don't care as long as the profits are huge.
IW sold out on MW2, they turned their back on the very people who made them the huge success they were, they tried to turn PC gamers into console robots, killed of the modders and the mappers, the very thing that made the CoD franchise huge in the first place. You only have to look at online playing charts to see how quickly MW2 has stopped being supported by the PC community, even CoD has more players online.
SO do I care if they got sacked? not one little bit, lets face it, its not like they are going to starve is it, and if it means they cant bring us any more console ports, so what? It wont be missed, I refused to buy MW2 on principle and never regretted my decision to do so.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Why would you say that you're "disappointed" in them filing a lawsuit. That probably just pisses them off more. Unless that's what Activision is going for. Either way, they all have more money from the COD series than they know what to do with.

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]Why would you say that you're "disappointed" in them filing a lawsuit. That probably just pisses them off more. Unless that's what Activision is going for. Either way, they all have more money from the COD series than they know what to do with.[/citation]

Would you rather they say they're thrilled that they chose to file suit? :D

Micropat

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
"There's also some rumbles that Zampella and West were sniffing around the EA camp while still employees at Infinity Ward."

Who's up for some Medal of Honor: Modern Warfare

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Athreex[/nom]As far as I Know, Call of Duty franchise have two main developers: Infinity Ward and Treyarch. The very first Call of Duty is made by Treyarch, Modern Warfare series are developed by Infinity Ward. The last Call of Duty made by Treyarch is Call of Duty World At War. Well at least it is something like this. Please someone correct me if wrong. Thanks[/citation]
IW was the one who developed Call Of Duty. Im not sure if Treyarch even worked on the game (looking at my COD disk/manual/case there is no mention of Trey. at all. I truthfully hope that IW wins this case mainly because in this instance they are being bullied around by the big corp.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]Why would you say that you're "disappointed" in them filing a lawsuit. That probably just pisses them off more. Unless that's what Activision is going for. Either way, they all have more money from the COD series than they know what to do with.[/citation]
Well West and Zampella could have decided to open a new game studio then they could be looking for it to be funded from this lawsuit.

G

Sounds like they were fired to get them out of the way so another studio can produce MW3.

MW2 is the first COD game I have played and even though lots of long time COD players don't like the absence of dedicated servers I know no different and it seems fine to me. This way it also bans cheaters/hackers from the game instead of just from a single private server. It also eliminated random kicking of people from private servers for invalid reasons. In the MoH series I would watch people get booted for absolutely no reason and it seems they just felt the need to kick one person per round just to get their rocks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.