Solved! Corrupt display on Lenovo laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

murphie12211

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015
After having my older computer stored on it's side for a few months, when I turned it on, the screen is half black and half blue, no desktop, so I don't even know if it's loading Windows. Is there a fix, even temporary, so I can get some info off my desktop? I don't need to get on the internet or access any downloads, I just need to read something that's on the desktop. It's a Lenovo Win 7 or 8. Thanks

Solution
You should have one or two outputs on the laptop, you can connect the monitor with a VGA or HDMI cable depending on the monitor input. You should have a function key on the keyboard to activate the external monitor.

marksavio

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
this doesnt sound like a software issue that you can be solved by just reinstalling or updating drivers or BIOS. you may want to get that looked at a PC shop where they have the proper tools to look into the internal hardware of your laptop. some circuits/wires may have been burned out/loose.

Hi, if you can, try an external monitor. You can also reseat the ram in the laptop.

murphie12211

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015

I see the HDMI port on the laptop, but I don't know about the monitor input. F10 looks like a monitor, so maybe that's it. I'll have to read the owner's manual. If they are compatible, I have to buy the cable. Geesh...but it's worth the trouble if it gives me access to the files I want. Don't really care about the computer, it's about 7-8+ years old, and I have two newer ones.

Thanks for the help. I'll be in touch if I can't figure it out.

murphie12211

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015

lol...OK jarotech...another option to confuse this old lady.
So tell me, how do I do that?
My other (working) laptops are Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 (Win8.1) and Lenovo Ideapad(Win10).

Status
Not open for further replies.