Costco to Stop Selling Apple Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Except for a few specific name-brand items, warehouse clubs with membership fees don't make any economic sense. You have to buy a lot of the "good deal" items to make up for the fees.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Except for a few specific name-brand items, warehouse clubs with membership fees don't make any economic sense. You have to buy a lot of the "good deal" items to make up for the fees.[/citation]

Sam's Club can be iffy depending on your purchasing habits. Costco is actually a really good value.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Except for a few specific name-brand items, warehouse clubs with membership fees don't make any economic sense. You have to buy a lot of the "good deal" items to make up for the fees.[/citation]

I figure that I save on average about 5-10% on everything I buy there (sometimes a lot more, sometimes its about the same price as elsewhere). So my yearly fee is $50, even at 5% I only have to spend $1000/year to break even. That's like 3 months groceries for me and my GF.

coldtortilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
yea but my parents have a cost co card and they buy allot of items there and they get charged ~$100 for their membership, but they get a 2% gift card from cost co every year depending on the money they spent they spent the year before, and that gift card is almost always around the 100 dollar range so don't you start bagging on cost co. You can also get *free membership if you get cost co's master card.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I've went to Costco and saving really matter on what you buy. I will admit its been years since I've gone due to relocation but I highly doubt things have changed any. A membership certainly would not be useful for everyone.

As for the Apple products no longer being sold there I fail to see how this will effect Apple any.
Consumers will just go elsewhere if indeed they went to Costco at all for such in the first place.
Electronics if I recall weren't any cheaper in fact in some cases they were more expensive.

coldtortilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
also I forgot to mention cost co's amazing electronic return policy, you get 90 days to return the product, so yea, put that in your pipe!

Aintry

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
BFD. I wonder how many people think "Apple" when they think "Costco"? Lol. As a previous poster stated, I think people will just go someplace else to get their iPods. People go to Costco to get 200-lb. bags of dog food and crates of toilet paper.

n00bxqb

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
It doesn't surprise me. Apple is a terrible company for retailers to deal with. The profit margins are awful, RMAs are a joke, and Apple's general BS (merchandising, pricing, etc.).

As for Costco, I've always had good shopping experiences there, but I haven't renewed my membership lately because it's always so busy at my local stores and I don't enjoy standing in line for 30 minutes. I go in occasionally for the free samples and cheap food, but that's about it.

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I figure that I save on average about 5-10% on everything I buy there (sometimes a lot more, sometimes its about the same price as elsewhere). So my yearly fee is $50, even at 5% I only have to spend $1000/year to break even. That's like 3 months groceries for me and my GF.[/citation]

:) We have the upgraded membership. It pays us like 2 percent back. We spend like 2k every 3 months at costco, almost exclusively food.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Why do people think Apple and Costco? Well the answer is the same as to why do people think Apple and Walmart? iPods, everyone and their kid almost has an iPod, even if their cellphone has a perfectly capable and less draconian list of supported formats in their cellphone, they still own an iPo-0-d.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]rwpritchett[/nom]I'll disagree. I easily cover my Costco membership dues with the annual savings from just two items I purchase in bulk: dog food and diapers.[/citation]
well if you house trained your dog, instead of using diapers....

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
The average family can save a lot of money at Costco, but you have to be smart about it. You cannot just head off into Costco with an empty stomach and a pocket full of cash, that is going to be a costly, costly mistake. For me, since it's just me an my wife, there are many things that don't make sense, but we still shop for items we can bulk up on a couple of times a year and the savings can be substantial. You can easily save enough money in 1 trip to cover the cost of the membership, very easy. Another more personal preference I shop there is the meat department. I am a true carnivore and lover of smoking/grilling/cooking outdoors. You will be hard pressed to find better quality and finer tasting meats, at any price, anywhere, period.
As for them dumping Apple products, I really could care less, I have never purchased an Apple product, and doubt I ever will.

mcpcna01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
I purchased my Ipod from there, because that is where we were going to shop when we had the money and best buy seemed expensive.

As for the cost, not everything is a good deal you have to watch what you buy and why. Unless we are canning we never use the vegetables fast enough, and their brand name yogurt is more expensive than a grocery store. However they have a lot of imported cheeses. Their blocks of tilamook cheddar are generally around half the price that other stores sell the cheap cheese for, atleast here.

Status
Not open for further replies.