Court: MegaUpload Seizure Carried Out on Wrong Paperwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
"..... and retrospectively adding the list of items already seized."

Wouldn't they be acting retroactively not retrospectively?

G

The guy is a goof but he deserves proper treatment under the law. My guess is that the seizure will be declared null and void. The cops will then have to re-apply and will likely get grab the stuff anyway unless he can protect things in the interim.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So they siezed the servers without proper paperwork, that smells huge lawsuit comming. Bringing down a site illegaly like that would throw a normal person in jail for years and become shackeled with the paperchains (money) for the rest of their life.

When the goverment does it its allright or what? What a joke of a "justice" system

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
As the article mentions, the paperwork error appears to have been a mistake, not an intentional effort to skirt the law. Mistakes happen. The only sketchy part about it was the attempt to add additional items to the seizure request retroactively. However, it is very unlikely any of those items had any relevance to the actual case. A lot of personal property was seized (cars, etc.). That's most likely the type of stuff they are talking about. I find it more than unlikely that the original warrant didn't include the servers which are the actual point of the whole case.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
They will just have the right warrant to seize the property as they return it to him so he doesn't have time to tamper with any potential evidence.

The problem for law enforcement currently is that they have to stop touching or reviewing any of the evidence until the judge rules on it.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]"..... and retrospectively adding the list of items already seized."Wouldn't they be acting retroactively not retrospectively?[/citation]
I'm so used to reading errors now that my brain automatically corrects them in my head. I thought it already said retroactively.

Pinhedd

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]So they siezed the servers without proper paperwork, that smells huge lawsuit comming. Bringing down a site illegaly like that would throw a normal person in jail for years and become shackeled with the paperchains (money) for the rest of their life.When the goverment does it its allright or what? What a joke of a "justice" system[/citation]

The seizure only applied to his personal property in New Zealand, not his company's property which was mostly in the USA

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]woe96[/nom]if he did have pirated stuff on the servers they don't have to give them back cause that illegal[/citation]

Hows this necessarily illegal? If you plow right through a shopping mall in a Ford SUV is Ford responsible?

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Being from New Zealand I can tell you that the Americans wandered into our country, put their weight on the government and told them what to do. The sooner they stop pushing us around the better

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]Being from New Zealand I can tell you that the Americans wandered into our country, put their weight on the government and told them what to do. The sooner they stop pushing us around the better[/citation]
The sooner The USA can get it's big nose out of everyone's business, the better.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Northwestern[/nom]The sooner The USA can get it's big nose out of everyone's business, the better.[/citation]

Agreed. But to the rest of the world, we're just a small country which has no say.
And the megaupload guy is just another pawn to knock over. If NZ gets in the way... who cares?

Admittedly, I give the U.S huge credit for helping us out in Christchurch, they were one of the first countries here with the heavy lifting equipment which ended up saving lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.