CPU at ~70C idle with cleaned fan and new thermal paste

chong_1

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015
I uses MSI afterburner to monitor my laptop performance.
At idle:
GPU usage : 0
GPU temp : 45C
CPU usage : 4 to 6% with browsers opened
CPU temp : 65C ~ 70C

here comes the probolem, when I play game (Dota 2) :
GPU usage : 99%
GPU temp : peak at 80C
CPU usage : about 50%
CPU temp : 95C!

With everything turned off and only texture and shadow are high and med, I can get slightly more than 60fps. However I do notice that both gpu temp and cpu temp are a little too hot for long term usage. I have cleaned my fans and applied new thermal paste 3 months ago, it seemed to have improved a little but now the overheating issue came back.

Is this temperature range safe ?
Why is my CPU usage only 50%? Can I increase it? ( only some CPU cores run at around 50% during gaming, others are mostly idle and only increase occasionally)
Any ideas on why and how to deal with this usage and temperature issues?

Thanks

ASUS n53S (4years old)
i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz
GT 550M 2GB
Window 10 64bit

Hi,

First, it's normal for your CPU to run at just 50% specially if you only have few things open or running at the background all at the same time. It's your dedicated graphics card which is doing all the work specially if it's set to run those games. If you don't have a dedicated graphics card it's still on the safe range at 50%. About the overheating problem since you've done reapplying a new thermal paste cleaning the fans your other option is to use a cooling dock for laptops that should help in cooling down your laptop since it has fans blowing under it.

chong_1

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah I have beeen using laptop cooler as well, to no avail.
I have recently found a replacement fan for my laptop, but it only comes with fans alone. My fan is attatched with heat sink copper pipe. Is it common that these copper pipes are removable / detachable from the fan? I tried, it kinda sticks together.