CPU downthrottles when I plug in charger

ztrob21

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Immediately when I plug in my charger my CPU will downthrottle and stay at 798MHz according to RealTemp. That's with balanced mode or high performance mode running as power plans. I have gone into the Advanced Power Saving Options menu's for both settings and changed the Processing Power Management submenu's to running 100% while plugged in. Still no change. No clue what to do from here. Any suggestions? This is a Acer laptop running Windows 8.1 with an Intel i5 4210u

rdizz81

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
It may just be a power saving feature, have you tested to see if it jumps up in speed when using a game or a program?

some intels have Speedstep and AMD uses Cool n Quiet.

ztrob21

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
My CPU has speedup. 1.7MHz with a speedup to 2.6MHz. It will stay at 798MHz no matter what program I use. If I try and play Hearthstone for instance, there is no change in the speed. It's most certainly a power saving feature but to find out where It needs to be turned off, I don't know.

Geekalicious79

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
Beware suggestions to change the BioS settings to turn off SpeedStep and the AMD equivalent. My laptop's fans went full bore then the laptop shutdown until it cooled off enough for me to boot back up.
The most likely reason is that many Inspirons were shipped with power supplies with insufficient wattage for the device's actual consumption.

If you bought the device out of pocket, contact Dell support. If this is a corporate device, your IT guys will know it's because you were trying to play games and you'll have to deal with whatever the political ramifications of this discovery will lead to at your place of employment.