CPU Overheat very fast with Mass Speed drop

Dulshan

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
Hi,

I'm using a Laptop with a Core i7-4700MQ 2.40Ghz. This happens mostly when playing games, the CPU temperature rises upto 100C within about 5mins of gameplay. Games that runs around 30fps drops to almost 0fps, when the CPU running at around 3.20Ghz(3.40Ghz with Turbo) drops to around 0.7Ghz. Everything gets to normal speed after about 1minute. This happened rarely before but becoming frequent. I'm using CoreTemp to monitor Temp.

I cleaned the Laptop for dust, but nothing changed. I look into many other forum answers but almost all of them are for Desktop PCs, so please dont rule this out as an answered question.

Thanks!

Dulshan

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015

Ya thanks, but what may causing this? I mean 100C in 5mins of Gameplay is impossible, there must be something wrong with the Lap. What can it be?

CountMike

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
Just blowing dust out may not be enough, paste or heat transfer pads may be dried out. Quite a few times I had to disassemble them to bits and change paste to get them in near new order.

Dulshan

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015

Thermal paste, I'll try it and let you know. And how to know if the paste is dried?

el_padrino5

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
have you cleaned it up? by that meaning blowing out the dust; also could be that it's time for a new thermal paste.
Laptops run much hotter than regular desktops.

Hope this helps