cpu overheating asus

Status
Not open for further replies.

raonaveen

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
I have a asus rog g46vw laptop. For a few days i have been noticing that my cpu is overheating. It remains above 75°c at ideal and 95°c under load. Also at ideal my gpu ie gtx 660m stays below 40°c.
How can this be possible that cpu is 75 and gpu is at 40.
please help.
cpu= i5 3230
gpu= gtx 660m
8 gb ram.

Solution
- misinformation i7Baby! First establish if the product is under warranty before suggesting a hack and slash approach to a simple solution. A user with a Grandmaster title would know that by now...

raonaveen,
the simplest of solutions is if you used an egg crate to have the cooler off the work surface. It helps with airflow and also is a bit resistant to picking up dirt off the surface though this does create a larger scope for dust to settle at the seams of the egg crate.

egg-carton-laptop-cooler-stand-life-hack.jpg

or
oY8FraO.jpg

or
18fc4ft710t68jpg.jpg

so pretty...

raonaveen

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
Already did the dust blowing. There are not much vents below the laptop So i dont think cooler will work . Also gpu stays at 40 . Its only the cpu that is overheating. Is it possible that my cpu is about to die.

Lutfij

Splendid
- misinformation i7Baby! First establish if the product is under warranty before suggesting a hack and slash approach to a simple solution. A user with a Grandmaster title would know that by now...

raonaveen,
the simplest of solutions is if you used an egg crate to have the cooler off the work surface. It helps with airflow and also is a bit resistant to picking up dirt off the surface though this does create a larger scope for dust to settle at the seams of the egg crate.

egg-carton-laptop-cooler-stand-life-hack.jpg

or
oY8FraO.jpg

or
18fc4ft710t68jpg.jpg

so pretty much house hold items can help work as a laptop cooler as you allow more air to flow under the chassis. Mind you I did the last tip, and its both a simple, elegant and effective solution for my laptop.

Hope this helps!
:)

CPU is not about to die. Perhaps the thermal paste used isn't of good quality and/or the vents are clogged but we'll need to establish if you're under your warranty period before asking you to go further.

Solution

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Hi there,
CPU's don't die just like that !
first of all check if warranty is still valid !
then I would check the paste under the heatsinc ! If that got hard as stone it might be the source of your problem !

Let us know and good luck.
Cheers, Louise.

raonaveen

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
I figured out the problem. Some process named steam was running in background takin 24 % cpu . I ended it and after 10 min i was back at 40°c.
i selected the best ans because it gave some cool ideas.

Lutfij

Splendid
There is another way you can monitor what comes up during OS startups - CCleaner by Piriform can take care of all those pesky startup softwares that tend to hog alot of memory and PCU usage thus making it seems like you have a dieing machine.

Thanks for awarding me Best Solution ;) Thought you could use them to your advantage!

Goes to show that the issue is very simply resolved once you've identified the problem instead of creating a new issue to solve it in the first place. Grandmaster huh? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.