engineersnitk

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014
System Info:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 4.00 GB

Task Manager
In Performance tab > CPU > Reads Base speed at 2.6 GHz
Usually My Laptop runs at 2.8 - 2.9 GHz

Question - 1: What exactly is Base speed of this CPU, 2.0 or 2.6 GHz ?

Here's the problem.

When I play PUBG in High Performance mode CPU Power Throttles to 0.7 ~ 0.8 GHz and this leads to severe FPS drops.
And it fluctuates from 0.7 to 2.7 GHz every 2 seconds.
(Used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to notice POWER THROTTLING)
My Laptop Runs Cool though, while playing games it goes around 75 degrees. But it doesn't THERMAL THROTTLES.

I noticed that PUBG runs fine around 50 fps at low settings if CPU runs at stable constant speed.

After some researching I came across THROTTLE STOP.
I used it to disable turbo boost.
What it did is it makes the CPU run at 1.98 GHz. But while playing PUBG this lowers again to 1.4 GHz. But doing this it doesn't show anywhere if CPU is power/current/thermal throttling. For some reason the speed reduces from 1.98 to 1.4 GHz while playing.

Question - 2: Is there any way I could stop this throttling and be able to run PUBG and other games (happens in GTA V too) without significant fps drops.

engineersnitk

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014
Accidentally asked here.. though I tried looking for a way to delete this but I couldn't find any.
If you have any constructive solution towards the main issue i will be glad. Thank you.

engineersnitk

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014
Well I am going to assume that you are going through a similar problem.

I never found a one stop solution to this.
But I tried something and it kind of works for me at the moment.

You are more than welcome to try
1) ThrottleStop
2) Intel Extreme Utility Tuneup

What I did.
1) Kept Laptop slightly elevated (using 2 books,trying not to block intake and exhaust vents).
2) Not moving laptop while playing games. (i.e. not using in bed or something. Kept on a flat surface above 2 books)
3) Maintaining nice airflow.
4) Keeping windows on Balanced power settings.