Solved! "CPU throttled at 91% by Windows" possibly overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerardShah

Estimable
Apr 4, 2019
Hello all! I have bought a few days ago new Acer Aspire A515-52-394A with i3-8145U, 8GB ram, 250GB SSD, Windows10 Home and i am very glad with the purchase. However, after performing userbenchmark tests several times, i always get the following warning:"

CPU throttled at 91% by Windows. Ensure maximum processor state is set to 100% via Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state.

UserBenchmark test results

I have noticed that in the beginning of any benchmark test (OCCT, Prime95) my CPU temperature going up to 93-97 C for several seconds in which its working in full turbo speed around 3900MHz, before normalizing to 82-83c but at the cost of dropping to 2800-2900 MHz. Is this the normal behavior?

Here are screenshots of HWmonitor during and after stress testing

during test screenshot

after test screenshot

Isn't the processor supposed to maintain full turbo boost for as long as it is needed without overheating, not only for 7-8 secs? Also should i be worried about the "CPU throttled at 91% by Windows" warning in userbenchmark test?
I still have about two weeks to return the laptop, so please advice me if you think that it may have a hardware failure or its all normal and expected behavior during the stress testing. Thanks in advance!