CPU usage drop while gaming from 2.5 GHz to 0.8 - 1.7 GHz

xxCODERxx

Estimable
May 22, 2015
Hey there! I've got an Asus laptop, core i5 4210u 1.7 GHz turbo boost up to 2.7 GHz ; Nvidia Geforce GT 820m ; 1 TB HDD ; Windows 8.1
What my problem is, when playing games, like Pro Evolution Soccer 2015, FIFA 15, and Grid 2, the game will start for like 50-60 fps, but after 5 minutes of gaming, the game will start to lag and stutter. What I did was to see the task manager while gaming, and what I saw was the CPU usage drops from 2.7 GHz to 0.8 - 1.7 GHz after 5 minutes, and yes my power plan is on High Performance. Also when not gaming, like normal browsing, watching youtube videos, the cpu usage is on average at 2.5 GHz and never drops down (sometimes maybe). I also cleaned my laptop yesterday, taking out a bunch of dust on the fan and the airways. This is not like this on the first 3 months of my laptop, but after that, it starts slowing down on gaming. What could be the problem on this? Thanks in advance for answering. Hope you all having a good day, not me of course, 'cause I can't game well.

entropy4money

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015
Your plan is on high performance. But are you running on battery or plugged in to the power outlet?. Also what surface do you have your laptop when gaming? your processor could be overheating, can you monitor the temps with MSI afterburner or similar software?

xxCODERxx

Estimable
May 22, 2015

First thanks for answering, I'm plugged on the outlet. The surface is the table, so it's good I think, nothing is blocking the fan. And yes, I did that a while ago. And here is the result, on playing Pro Evolution Soccer 2015, the max temp is 80 celcius, and also the cpu usage doesn't drop, I don't know why. But it doesn't lag on this game anymore. But when I try FIFA 15, just like what I said, it lags again after playing 5 minutes. And the max temp is 85 celcius, holy moly. Is it bad? I don't know what's the problem with FIFA 15. And also in Grid 2, I tested it, the max temp is 93 celcius. What may be the problem here sir? Thanks!

entropy4money

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015
The max temp of your processor is 100C, if you are noticing and increase on temperature, and a CPU performance drop, then your CPU is holding you back and there's nothing you can do other than lowering gaming quality. You could try and get one of those cooling desks for your laptop and see if that improves things, but I doubt it. If your CPU performance is dropping it is because it is trying to stay below the 100C but it is kind of weird.

Can you also monitor your VRAM? (video card memory).