Seth_11

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Yesterday afternoon I dropped my galaxy s6 and it cracked the back glass and also the camera, the screen is fine. My 2 year contract for sprint ends in December and I have no insurance on the phone. It's still very usable but when I point the camera at any source of light there is a blur where one of the cracks is. Is it worth repairing it? I ordered an otter box defender to protect from further damage. i looked at few websites that repair phones but it was around 100$ and I don't feel safe repairing it myself because I tried that with my really old iPhone and broke it permanently.

Solution

The glass on the back of the phone is just decorative. (To satisfy people who insist that phones having a plasticy feel is the worst thing ever. Personally I like my phones being pliable plastic, so I know it won't shatter like glass or deform like metal if I drop it.)

The glass covering the camera lens is separate. Fortunately it's just protective glass, not a lens. If only it is cracked (the rest of the camera assembly isn't damaged), you should be able to replace it fairly cheaply to clear up your camera images. You may even be able to do it without removing the back cover...

The glass on the back of the phone is just decorative. (To satisfy people who insist that phones having a plasticy feel is the worst thing ever. Personally I like my phones being pliable plastic, so I know it won't shatter like glass or deform like metal if I drop it.)

The glass covering the camera lens is separate. Fortunately it's just protective glass, not a lens. If only it is cracked (the rest of the camera assembly isn't damaged), you should be able to replace it fairly cheaply to clear up your camera images. You may even be able to do it without removing the back cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35llljw-cCA

(Links to replacement glass covers on Amazon are in that YouTube video description.) If you can't get all the pieces out, you'll have to remove the back cover so you can pop out the frame holding the glass cover, and push it out from the back side.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S6+Camera+Lens+Glass+Replacement/43301

Solution