Cranky connection - VGA out to HDMI in

Robert Bankard

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hi guys;

I went out and grabbed one of those Playstation monitors (aware of the possible dangers), and I'm trying to get the thing rigged to the computer for purely 2d use. I've picked up the VGA to HDMI converter box and requisite cables.

The problem is, is that the computer only recognizes it as the most incredibly basic 640X480 monitor in existence. I think it fits about six icons on the screen, each as big as your eye. Not great...

Anyone have a suggestion on how to tame this tangle? Thanks!

Robert Bankard

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

Thanks for chiming in - this muck gets thicker as I go...

I've been into the res settings - change it up, and the screen goes to black and "unsupported" pops up on screen. Touch nothing, and wait for a revert... and it doesn't revert. Or, if it does, the screen itself doesn't accept the reversion.

And now for the really interesting stuff.

If I boot in safe mode, the screen works like a charm, and will stay good as long as I care to run it that way. Any resolution, up or down. Of course, that's only so long as I don't care about nice stuff like internet connectivity. Restart, and, WHAM! - the black screen of Unsupported.

Vexing.

At this point, honestly, I just went ahead and ordered up a machine with an HDMI out - that should be a solve. The tech on ol' Bessie was obviously aging out, it's a small form factor (Acer Aspire) with limited video upgrade options, so now was as good a time as ever. But technically, it pesters me, so if you'd like to help me through this just as an exercise, I'd like to see if this is a conquerable problem.

Lethal-Injection

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Well this isn't entirely bad. The fact that it only works in safe mode tells us it should be a driver related issue as SM uses the most basics drivers. The next logical thing to do is to update your display drivers to the latest ones. Do you know if they are amd or intel drivers? You should uninstal the current drivers before installing the new ones.

Robert Bankard

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Granny appears to be running the latest nvidia drivers for its generation (Geforce 6 series), according to nvidia's scan.

Nvidia does have some sort of software running resident in the tray - "NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL." It appears to exist to tweak; colors, resolution, rotation, even 3D settings. You're the expert - I don't know if this software is acting as some sort of filter between the native driver and the display. I do know I wouldn't miss it if I disabled it. Whatcha think, professor?

Lethal-Injection

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Hmm okay. Try this

a. Start the System in Safe mode. (Pressing the F8 key while the computer restarts)
b. Go to Device manger (Click start- type device manager in the search bar and hit enter)
c. Right click the video card under Display Adapters and select Disable.
d. Repeat this step if more than one video card is showing under Display Adapters.
e. Once all display adapters have been disabled restart the computer in normal mode.

If this doesn't work, then I'm all out of tricks in the bag, but it should

Btw, the nvidia info and scan was done in safe mode right while the tv was connected right? Just asking.