Crappy AT&T Service? There's an App for That

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
This app seems reminiscent of the old "How's my driving, call 1-800-eat-shit" bumper stickers or microsoft's "Send Problem Report to Microsoft" options. I'd be interested to see if anyone ever gets a response indicating their submission was ever received, or if this is just a placebo to stop some people from bitching about their service.

How long before Apple pulls this app for duplicating the functionality of "just not using the damn phone in the first place"?

Socnom

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Hmm. Misleading title. Should have been something like "AT&T Creates Survey App". The title suggests there is an App to make AT&T's service crappy, like you need an app for that.

I have AT&T but only use my phone for simple text and phone calls. Even then I get network failures with full bars and sometimes dropped calls. I also learned that if someone spams your phone with 50+ text messages at once, you can crash the network connection to the phone.

The App reminds me of the questions you get when you quit a MMO. Except, you don't voluntarily quit the calls.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Luke Wilson SPECIFICALLY mentions Bozeman, Montana as "getting service" in the commercial. Well I can tell you first hand that AT&T sucks here, no 3G and your lucky if you can get a phone call outside of campus. Verizon is king here, and I wish i could kick AT&T in the balls for false advertising!

G

you know this isnt about this article but maybe if att put the money they used in those commercials used to respond to verizon and put it into their dilapidated network thats where it would be better served.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Tired or Crappy ATT Service there's an APP for that, Download it here today and start enjoying your Cell phone to it's fullest...............http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans [...] P=EvenMore[/citation]
In the Us t mobile is much worse in coverage then At&t At&t has the 2nd largest network with the most crap to it. Verison used to be 2nd but with butout of err alltel it now has more members

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I frankly don't really care who has better coverage. 3G service is a sham in my opinion. $30 a month for a a 3G connection (glorified dial up at 100 kbps) is ridiculous when the same amount of money can get you a 10 mbps DOCSIS connection (100 times faster).

I am ditching Verizon as soon as my contract is up and using Google Voice and Skype for my voice communication needs (with a backup tracfone for emergencies of course). Total yearly service cost of using Skype, Google Voice, and a tracfone: approximately $200. Heck, I may even pick up a tablet to use as a mobile device with the money I am saving!

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]Luke Wilson SPECIFICALLY mentions Bozeman, Montana as "getting service" in the commercial. Well I can tell you first hand that AT&T sucks here, no 3G and your lucky if you can get a phone call outside of campus. Verizon is king here, and I wish i could kick AT&T in the balls for false advertising![/citation]

I'll second that. Everyone I know uses Verizon in Bozeman, MT. I think it's a joke that they even mention Bozeman in their commercial. Guarantee if AT&T did a blind poll here in town, they'd find that 80% of people would say they refuse to use AT&T due to poor signal.

Interestingly enough, if you go to AT&T's website (www.att.com) and click the Store Find option, it will not find any locations within 50 miles of Bozeman, MT.

There's a reason why Bozeman has a population of 30,000 to 40,000 people and sustains 4 or 5 Verizon (private & corporate) stores.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I have some friends who work for AT&T, and they have T-Mobile phones, because in our area T-Mobile has excellent coverage around the city (as good as Verizon, and better than Sprint or AT&T). Verizon still has the best rural coverage, but at least for here T-Mobile's a good choice. Actually so is Alltel, but Verizon's taking over their towers soon...
-Anyway, at least where I live, AT&T coverage is a joke, and it bothered me to see Izzy diss T-Mobile's coverage, which is clearly superior. So, I went online and tried to dig for info to support a "Nuht, uh, T-Mobile is good" claim, and all I found was that T-Mobile scored 2nd on the consumer reports run recently. Specifics were pretty fucking terrible, and I couldn't make a strong argument.

This is a problem. We really need a reputable consumer advocate to step-up, and give us some solid statistics about wireless coverage, and service. Right now, everything's so freaking ambiguous, and the data so subjective, its fucking pathetic. The low reaching studies, and worthless complaint sites we have now just don't work. We don't even have a website that can show the Service Provider's coverage maps overlayed on top of each other with filters. No, nothing. Its a fucking joke.

Guess I just got frustrated and had to vent, but I'm sick of having to tell customer's asking about phones: "Verizon has the best coverage, T-Mobile is pretty good, Sprint is OK, and AT&T isn't so good", and having absolutely no evidence to backup anything I say. "Really, why?" "uhm, I'm just going off of trends, and things I've heard from other users. People I know with AT&T seem to get a lot of dropped calls" "Do they get dropped calls under Sprint?" "Uhm... well... I don't have enough users on Sprint to say for sure."

If someone makes a website dedicated to this, I could see it being profitable enough to quit their day job. I can't be the only person frustrated with available information. So there you have it... I can't even make fun of AT&T's app. I don't have enough evidence to laugh at them.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]I'll second that. Everyone I know uses Verizon in Bozeman, MT. I think it's a joke that they even mention Bozeman in their commercial. Guarantee if AT&T did a blind poll here in town, they'd find that 80% of people would say they refuse to use AT&T due to poor signal.Interestingly enough, if you go to AT&T's website (www.att.com) and click the Store Find option, it will not find any locations within 50 miles of Bozeman, MT.There's a reason why Bozeman has a population of 30,000 to 40,000 people and sustains 4 or 5 Verizon (private & corporate) stores.[/citation]
Last I checked AT&T's coverage map doesn't show anything but roaming coverage. This means only high end phones like the iPhone and other smartphones for example can be used there since the free/low cost phones can't roam off of a CDMA tower.

G

AT&T has never failed me in 10 years of usage all over Texas. Use Sprint for work and can only get signals outside and in major cities, verizon is provided for our school cell phones and has the same issues with connectivity. AT&T (Cingular when I originally purchased it) as my personal phone quite simply has only had issues when AT&T is working on something, and that has been only five or six times in the last ten years. Never tried t-mobile so can not say anything about their service. Wont deny the overpricing of the 3G, really not specific to AT&T, I also wont deny that the coverage changes wherever you are. As far as where I live, and the service I have received over the last decade I have no problems at all with AT&T.

G

AT&T's services in Texas are great because Cingular used to be Southwestern Bell, a telco that had a near complete monopoly here for decades. It's all about infrastructure.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]njalterio[/nom]I frankly don't really care who has better coverage. 3G service is a sham in my opinion. $30 a month for a a 3G connection (glorified dial up at 100 kbps) is ridiculous when the same amount of money can get you a 10 mbps DOCSIS connection (100 times faster).I am ditching Verizon as soon as my contract is up and using Google Voice and Skype for my voice communication needs (with a backup tracfone for emergencies of course). Total yearly service cost of using Skype, Google Voice, and a tracfone: approximately $200. Heck, I may even pick up a tablet to use as a mobile device with the money I am saving![/citation]
How exactly does cable internet compete with wireless internet, again?

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]How exactly does cable internet compete with wireless internet, again?[/citation]

DOCSIS and FiOS are way faster than the 3G service available on cell phones. What don't you understand?

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
So whats the use of trying to expand your 3G when Verizon and Sprint are working on 4G that will blow 3G away?

Next will be the Verizon 4G maps and oh wait... AT&T will still be trying to build their 3G network.

Too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.