Crash with Screen Distortion

GilDale

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am having this intermittent problem with my ASUS N56 R501 VZ, where occasionally the laptop will freeze and a series of vertical lines and green artifacts appear on the screen and 'shake' before the laptop will restart.

I have included a screenshot here

http://imgbucket.info/i-oAtPdd/WP_000651.jpg

Specs of the machine are as follows

Core I7 3610QM @ 2.33 Ghz
16GB DDR @ 1600 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 650M with 2 GB of VRAM
Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium

I am currently in the process of a MemTest which at 80% through still has 0 errors.

I am guessing it could be graphic card related? But I have ran GW2 and Borderlands 2 on this, and as I said intermittent.

Any help would be fantastic.

bittercoder

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Getting an identical issue here when using ASUS R501V - 16GB DDR @ 1600 RAM installed, NVidia Geforce 630M, Core i7 3610QM and 128gb Vertex 4 installed. I have had this happen 4 times now since I got the laptop last week... Running Windows 8.

One thing I noticed was that after installing windows 8 it was not happening, until I installed the NVidia drivers... at which point I had it occur again, could be luck... but I suspect the issue lies with the NVidia drivers/graphics chipset?

Can't be more help, but figured you might like to know you are not alone!

GilDale

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Actually I took it back to MLN and they informed me it was an incompatibility issue between the brand of the RAM they used for the upgrade and the ASUS.

Essentially cause of the NVIDIA stuff it uses onboard RAM for low demand video tasks with the onboard Intel HD4000 and then switches to the Geforce for high end stuff.

The issue was only occurring in normal day to day operations, since they have swapped the ram to this other brand I have not had a single repeat of the issue. The guy who did the original upgrade was a junior and wasn't aware of the issue. Said they had the same sort of problems with some of the MSI's as well with the Elite Ram.

bittercoder

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Interesting - I currently have 2 x 8gb G.SKill F3-1600C10S-8GSQ DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL10-10-10 installed, originally it had a single 4gb Hynix chip installed. If I continue to have issues I may look at switching back to the original memory and seeing if that helps/eliminates the issue... thanks for the tip!