Crazy Talk: Windows 8 May Play Xbox 360 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Sounds pretty interesting. I hope they follow through with this. Having more options available to us for games is never a bad thing, IMO.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
This would be great if they extend this to "720" games as well. Being able to play the console exclusives on a PC would make microsoft more cash because it would increase games sales. They dont make much if anything selling a console so being able to sell more games without havng to sell more consoles would be great for them. I myself would like to be able to play games like Fornza and other x box only games without having to own a console. Being that 360 games are aging this is only barley on my radar unless it ends up to were the next gen games can be played on the PC.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Well, there are several things here that go woefully wrong.

First, they really need to give incentive to gamers who don't own a console. Are many people really going to pay more so they can play games with console players? (If that's really what they're trying to accomplish, but I think the input divides the two gaming formats...I don't think a controller will hold own against a mouse and keyboard). The only way I can see people wanting this service is if the game was exclusive to Xbox; if that's the case, the games better be cheaper. I certainly won't pay for Xbox Live AND a game, when I can play the same or similar games on Steam for no service cost at all.

Being able to register your Xbox discs on your PC is interesting, but it will destroy the used game market.

Also, if you include a picture of a girl playing games in an article, please be sure that the enlarged resolution is much larger than 400x300. 400x300 is not a large image.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm sorry, I'm still not paying Microsoft a monthly fee to use my own internet connection and hardware to play a game I legitimately purchased online. So yeah, Microsoft can do whatever they want to, I'm not buying an XBox Live subscription.

Now, that being said, I wouldn't necessarily mind being able to play some of the XBox exclusive titles on my PC, assuming I don't need the aforementioned paid XBox Live subscription.

G

"Microsoft PC customers will be required to purchase a monthly fee just like their Xbox comrades"

-this will not fly with PC gamers.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
as for input... i assume ud still have to use an xbox controller either way (which sucks).
otherwise older games would need to be retro-fitted to accept keyboard as input and that just isn't going to happen.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Could it be when they mention windows 8 will be able to play Xbox 360 games they are planning to launch a cloud like service which will then be supported by windows 8.

All of us know its not easy emulating current gen consoles, which really seems to be the only way our PCs can play Xbox 360 games. Since emulation isnt easy, could a cloud gaming service be in the cards.

jbenson256

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
[citation][nom]jimmyCrazyhair[/nom]"Microsoft PC customers will be required to purchase a monthly fee just like their Xbox comrades"-this will not fly with PC gamers.[/citation]

Any gamer who enjoys their choice of game will pay a small fee. By the way, XBL never got hacked like PSN so the monthly fee is worth it imo.

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
If this is true then this might be the reason for me upgrade to windows 8. I can finally try this "halo series" and the other xbox360 exclusives, hopefully they support mice and keyboard control.

But the monthly fee sounds like Microsoft just trying to increase their xbox live numbers, I don't think PC gamers will want to pay monthly fees considering that we are used to free online play not including some mmorpgs. Maybe Microsoft are changing their business model and are making money of services rather than hardware.

Funny how people are claiming that "cloud services" are going mainstream when the ISP's in U.S. are starting to cap their customers connections and other countries already have caps.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]Well, there are several things here that go woefully wrong.First, they really need to give incentive to gamers who don't own a console. Are many people really going to pay more so they can play games with console players? (If that's really what they're trying to accomplish, but I think the input divides the two gaming formats...I don't think a controller will hold own against a mouse and keyboard). The only way I can see people wanting this service is if the game was exclusive to Xbox; if that's the case, the games better be cheaper. I certainly won't pay for Xbox Live AND a game, when I can play the same or similar games on Steam for no service cost at all.Being able to register your Xbox discs on your PC is interesting, but it will destroy the used game market.Also, if you include a picture of a girl playing games in an article, please be sure that the enlarged resolution is much larger than 400x300. 400x300 is not a large image.[/citation]

1 track mind FTL. Try playing a sports game with a mouse and keyboard, a controller is so much easier playing a game like NHL 11, NBA or NFL. Of course I'd like to take my console version of a game and use the pc without waiting for a port to PC as well. It works both ways, and having the ability to really unlock the games graphics with a pc is awesome. I would start buying more X Box titles if I could play them on my PC as well.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
You want keyboard and mouse on xBox today? Check out the www.xim3.com

It would be nice to have one game on all platforms and they adjust to the quality of hardware just as many games do today. If you have beast machine, you set all the quality settings high. If you have a mediocre machine, you sent them mid-range. If you have a low end system you set them all low for performance.

It would also be nice to have XBL on the PC because personally I feel the advantage of XBL is the match making (in many games) and the ability to speak with users without a program like Ventrilo running is a huge plus.

For you nay sayers that don't want to play, doesnt XBL have a free version? If not, just consider it a cost of hardware. You have no problem upgrading to a new $300 video card to play a game, but you are going to moan over a $60 yearly fee or a $99 family plan?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmyCrazyhair[/nom]"Microsoft PC customers will be required to purchase a monthly fee just like their Xbox comrades"-this will not fly with PC gamers.[/citation]

The way I read this, is that if you want to play xbox on windows *only*, then you will still have to sign up for xbox live gold. If you are already a paying member of the xbox community, then you will not pay for a second membership, so I don't see Microsoft doing this. It would be better for them to instantly integrate their 40 million users, just so they can say they have 40 million users for advertising sales, rather than piss off their community by double charging them.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
One thing I do fear though and it is the whole reason I quit playing PC games and went with the xBox with a KB/M setup: Cheating.

It takes a lot more to actually cheat on an xBox than it does on a PC. With PC's any one with a search engine can find and install a cheat that some smart dude wrote up and conveniently packaged in an EXE file for them to double-click and use. To cheat on an xBox you yourself have to be somewhat smarter and certainly more determined to accomplish the same and the consequences can be a whole lot more than just getting banned from a server.

G

It sounded good until i got to the part about a monthly fee. No thanks.

As others already posted steam is free.

frozenlead

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]1 track mind FTL. Try playing a sports game with a mouse and keyboard, a controller is so much easier playing a game like NHL 11, NBA or NFL. Of course I'd like to take my console version of a game and use the pc without waiting for a port to PC as well. It works both ways, and having the ability to really unlock the games graphics with a pc is awesome. I would start buying more X Box titles if I could play them on my PC as well.[/citation]

I doubt the graphics will be different from platform to platform, but it depends on too much speculation. Anyway, I was thinking from a standpoint of a gamer who didn't own a console - if sports games suck on the PC, why would a gamer own sports games without a console? A PC gamer with no console generally doesn't have interest in games that don't play well on his platform. There's some one-track mindedness :p

[citation][nom]Skippy27[/nom]You have no problem upgrading to a new $300 video card to play a game, but you are going to moan over a $60 yearly fee or a $99 family plan?[/citation]

Yes. If I buy a $300 graphics card, I get $300 of graphics horsepower I couldn't get before. If I pay $60 a year for a subscription fee for Xbox live...what do I get that I wouldn't get elsewhere for cheaper? Nothing.

My experience in matchmaking, though, is that it's incredibly obnoxious. I've only ever experienced it in MW2, when I played it, but I really detested sitting for 10 minutes at a time just waiting for a game to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.