Creating pa speaker cables using 1/4" mono jacks and twin axial cable

Percy Parts

Estimable
Jan 28, 2015
Wonder if anyone can put my mind right on what seems such a simple job.

I have an old 100 watt PA system that my local band use, and the speaker cables are WAAAAAY too short to run to my board if we set up even a narrows stage set. I've invested in 20 metres of Van Damme 2x2.5mm studio twin axial cable and a set of Neutrik jacks to make up some reasonable replacements for the 3metre ones we are using at present.

I've been searching without success for the "approved" way of soldering these cables. My Logic says positive core to tip and negative core plus two Earth braids to the sleeve. Same connection both ends. Seems ridiculous that there is no info I can find out there-I can't be the first person to do this!

Anyone? Really grateful for a reply -I must be getting uncertain in my dotage!

Solution
If you look at the cross-section of the wire you will see it is not coax so capacitance would not be a problem. It is a two conductor cable by the description and doesn't have a shield so just go tip as plus and you should be fine.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
First off you do not use shielded cable for speakers as the capacitance will cause frequency loss.
Secondly it does not matter which way the two core cable is connected into the neutrik as long as both cables are connected the same and so maintain the same phase.

Percy Parts

Estimable
Jan 28, 2015

Thanks for reply Makkem, I appreciate your assistance. I am a little surprised over your comment about shielded cable, as the cable mentioned (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Van-Damme-Professional-Series-Studio/dp/B0030BXCDI/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3M0MS6F77I63L#productDetails) is designed and sold specifically for guitar amp to speaker useage, and the company concerned has a good reputation.

I understand your comments regarding polarity; my main concern was how to wire in the outer shielding effectively -are both connected to the sleeve / just one / or neither?

makkem

Distinguished
Right,that is studio cable and is to limit EMI interference from the cable affecting recording equipment and as such is designed to be used in short runs ie a couple of metres between a guitar amp and its speaker,when used this way it will have a small capacitance.
When used in long runs then capacitive effects may start to become noticable.
Your best bet would be to get some large gauge two core cable and forget about the shielding.
If shielded cable was used in PA systems between power amp and speaker then the Neutrik connectors would be designed to accomodate it.

makkem

Distinguished

It says in the description that it is shielded cable and if you look carefully at the photograph you can see that each individual conductor is shielded but is not overall shielded..
If it was me I think I would try leaving the shields unconnected and connect the two conductors as normal and listen to the result.

Percy Parts

Estimable
Jan 28, 2015
americanaudiophile said:

If you look at the cross-section of the wire you will see it is not coax so capacitance would not be a problem. It is a two conductor cable by the description and doesn't have a shield so just go tip as plus and you should be fine.

americanaudiophile was quite right -there is no shielding on the inner cables -although it looks as though there is in the pic and the descriptions is misleading.

I have simply made up the cables as a standard pair. Thanks to all for assistance