Creative SBS 580

klaudmjj

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Recently I found my old speakers and decided to plug them in. I only have the R , L and centre + sub woofer and everything works except from the centre speaker. When I test the audio individually using window's "test" option the beeping comes from all speakers even the centre one.

When I use chrome or firefox the centre speaker doesnt work. Same with Spotify or anything I do.
I wiped my pc recently and before the wipe, the centre speaker was working. However now , after the pc wipe, it doesnt work.

The only time the centre speaker works on spotify or chrome/mozzila is when I use an app called voice meeter which is invonvinant as I have to start the app up and then play the music which is extra steps.

When I play music on Spotify, I can hear static from the speaker.

grimfox

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
If I remember right this is an issue with Windows. For some reason windows will only output sound to either the sub or the center channel. It can't seem to do both at the same time. Usually this is controlled by a setting in windows. But it sounds like certain programs can override the setting. I may be wrong but the only solution is to get a sound card that splits the center and sub channels on to separate ports. Which also means getting different speakers as most "PC" speakers combine these on the same plug.

This is not a great answer, I know. You might look to see how this is usually handled on something like an HTPC where that type of thing would be a major hindrance to the theory and operation of an HTPC. That may give you a better idea how to address the issue.

klaudmjj

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017

As for the sound car bit, I know motherboard sound isnt the same as soundcard but I have a Asrock Z170 extreme 4 motherboard with all the different audio connections at the back. Like I said before I wiped the pc, everything worked fine altought i did mess around with some settings but I dont remember what they were.