Crock-Pot Smart Slow Cooker with WeMo Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

ickibar1234

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014
There is an efficiency problem I see with slow cookers even today. At least the dummer ones. They are not insulated by anything more than the glass dish and the thin metal chassis of the cooker. You can tell if it's not insulated if the outside of the pressure cooker becomes hot to the touch even on the low setting after a while. It's a waste of energy.
I hope this smart slow cooker is insulated. Really all new ones should come with a sensor to regulate temperature instead of relying on heat loss to keep it around where it should be.

ickibar1234

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014
There is an efficiency problem I see with slow cookers even today. At least the dummer ones. They are not insulated by anything more than the glass dish and the thin metal chassis of the cooker. You can tell if it's not insulated if the outside of the pressure cooker becomes hot to the touch even on the low setting after a while. It's a waste of energy.
I hope this smart slow cooker is insulated. Really all new ones should come with a sensor to regulate temperature instead of relying on heat loss to keep it around where it should be.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
For those who are interested, here's the full recipe:

5-pound pot roast or chuck roast
One 16-ounce can or three large diced tomatoes
One Vidalia onion, diced
Two carrots, chopped into ½ inch slices
Two celery stalks, chopped into ½ inch slices
Four garlic cloves, chopped roughly
One handful of parsley, chopped
2 Bay leaves
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon oregano
2 cups of red wine
4 cups of chicken broth
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt and pepper

Sprinkle roast on all sides generously with a mixture of kosher salt and pepper. In a pan on the stove on medium heat, heat oil, and sear the roast on all sides until caramelized. Remove the roast, and add onions, carrots, and celery to the pan. Saute until onions are translucent, and then add garlic until fragrant.

Next, put vegetables in the Crock Pot, along with herbs. Place roast on top, and pour tomatoes, red wine, and chicken broth around and on top of the roast. Add chicken broth last; stop adding broth if it looks like it will overflow.

Place lid on top, and set the Crock Pot to high. Let cook for at least 4 hours, or until the meat is tender enough to break apart with a fork.

Remove meat from Crock Pot, and tent with foil. Using a potato masher or immersion blender, break up the vegetables in the pot.

Remove half the liquid, and reduce in a pot on the stove. Slice meat, and ladle sauce reduction over slices. Serve with mashed potatoes.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
From a cooking POV, I don't see the need for a Crock Pot, since at some point while preparing the meal you'd need a stove anyways.
I'd rather invest in a good Dutch oven (cast iron) and get on cooking. Which is exactly what I did, anyways.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
@house70 - believe me, I've got a LeCreuset dutch oven and I love it, but I've found crock pots useful in two scenarios: if you don't want to heat up your house by using the oven, or if you want to leave your house and not keep the gas on. Plus, they're good for keeping things warm at parties, like cheese dips or meatballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Streaming Video & TVs 0
RexIsReckless Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
catchgarry Streaming Video & TVs 1
F Streaming Video & TVs 1
X Streaming Video & TVs 1
Linga1985 Streaming Video & TVs 1
L Streaming Video & TVs 2