CS student Linux laptop (No gaming)

fang273

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
1. What is your budget?
$1000 max, though I feel like something cheaper would satisfy my needs.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Something comfortable for coding on. I'm 6'2", so a big laptop isn't a problem.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I'm guessing 1920x1080? I don't really care.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I already have a gaming desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Good battery life would be very nice for class, but I'm sure I can find outlets.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Nope

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Programming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
250gb+ should be fine. I just need enough to store one semester's work since I'll be backing things up.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I normally buy off newegg and amazon, but I'm open to more.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Ideally 5+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I've heard Lenovo has good laptops for linux, but I also have a friend that got a new laptop from them, had it delivered with the screen falling off, and has been waiting for a month for them to fix it.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Coming with Linux would be nice since I wouldn't have to mess with compatibility, but I don't mind wiping windows if I need to, as long as I'm guaranteed Linux will run fine on the hardware.

I prefer solid laptops that I can throw in my backpack with my books, but I'm really open to anything that meets my needs.

Thinkpad T series. Very solid and every one I know has good Linux support. Nice keyboard for large hands.

You don't want to have a laptop in with books no matter what the model is. Chance to damage screen or keep flexing the motherboard and components till something cracks is too high.