Cube 3 Printer and Cubify Online Store Make 3D Printing Easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

User64X

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Cubify forces users to buy Cubify filaments that cost as much as 4 times over the market value for filaments, making Cubify the most expensive 3D printer to operate. Ebay filaments can be bought for ~$25 /kg. Cubify filament cartridge cost about $50 for ~0.5kg.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Nice! 75 micron Z-resolution is a big improvement over the Cube 2's 200 micron steps. This (or the Cube Pro) may be my first 3D printer purchase since it looks like the technology is really moving along now.

While it is tempting to see what comes about when the patent on the SLS process expires later this year, it is a messy and expensive process so it will probably be a long time until there are hobbyist-friendly SLS printers out there.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@bmwman91 considering build it yourself printers are reaching 20 micron with a 50 minimum, cube killing off the filament market, and the fact the printer will break and you need to know how to fix it, a build it yourself printer is the better option.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Good point on the filament. The value proposition for the Cube 3 doesn't seem too compelling given the price premium on material. Filament quality is a big factor in printing results, but I have no idea if their filament is 4x the quality to go with their 4x price. $1k for a fully assembled, high resolution 3D printer is also a nice thing, but I suppose that they are expecting to cash in over time with their filament sales.

There are so many options out there, that is for sure. Certainly, I would rather have the "problem" of having to choose from "too many" options than not having enough! A DIY one would be both fun to construct, and mechanical failures are probably fairly common, so knowing how to handle those is valuable as you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.