Cursor is ChatGPT for coding — now anyone can make an app in minutes

Aug 27, 2024
I'm a professional software engineer, and I must say, Cursor is absolutely fantastic. You still need to know programming and how things work. But overall, it is so accurate, I'm able to build a fully functional full stack application in around 4 hours, complete with CI/CD, full test coverage, and even some payment integration.

That being said, my prompt are usually quite specific, like "generate a helper class that creates a hermetic in-memory MongoDB environment for testing, complete with both bootstrap and teardown methods". But still, it takes 10 seconds to write a prompt, then I can just say: "generate a test file for it", and it generates such an accurate test file that I'm not sure I'm able to cover all these cases if I was doing it myself.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2024
Yikes... I cringe to think about all the garbage software that is going to be built by people who have no idea what they're doing, simply because of articles like this that tell people anyone can build an app.

Yet another crutch for the incompetent and the lazy.

RyanMorrison

Great
Nov 27, 2023
Yikes... I cringe to think about all the garbage software that is going to be built by people who have no idea what they're doing, simply because of articles like this that tell people anyone can build an app.

Yet another crutch for the incompetent and the lazy.
I think most users of tools like Cursor will be developers working for big companies looking to automate the boring parts of the job, including running tests and repetitive code tasks. Engineers are OpenAI, Midjourney and ElevenLabs are already using Cursor. It is basically a fork of VSCode with AI accessible by default.

Aug 27, 2024
I think most users of tools like Cursor will be developers working for big companies looking to automate the boring parts of the job, including running tests and repetitive code tasks. Engineers are OpenAI, Midjourney and ElevenLabs are already using Cursor. It is basically a fork of VSCode with AI accessible by default.
100%. It is absolutely pointless to build repetitive CRUD APIs with that 10 test cases always there. May as well let the AI do it.

It brings the fun part of software engineering back, which is actually designing the system. That part I find AI can't do it well, especially true for a distributed system, it usually get the requirements wrong, or give a ridiculous design that simply don't scale.

Aug 31, 2024
What a dumpster fire....I could go on forever with ai coding and no code crap you couldn't code the Oregon Trail with any of these coding apps . You would die of dysentery or typhoid first.

RyanMorrison

Great
Nov 27, 2023
You can code a version of the Oregon Trail with AI tools like Cursor. I've also used it to create a version of the game Taipan.