{Customized Built Laptop} Which one should I choose?

TymeToTry

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
Hello people :)

I finally decided between two customized laptop for my needs:
some gaming such as World of Warcraft and stuff (but not that much)
some video editing - photo editing (but not that much)
A lot of multimedia (movies principally)
A lot of Internet
A lot of typing

So I have two laptop specs:
1. From SYSTEM76, for $1175

- 17.3" 1080p Full High Definition Matte Display ( 1920 x 1080 )

- 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7- 4810MQ Processor ( 2.8 GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading )

- Intel® High Definition Graphics 4600

- 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB

- 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drive

- 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive

- Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 AC Wireless LAN up to 433 Mbps + Bluetooth

- Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit

- Full Size Backlit Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

2. From XOTICPC, for $1014

- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - SSC002)

- 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache) (SKU – SPU201)

- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

- Intel® HD 4600 Graphics

- 8GB DDR3 1600MHz [1x8GB] Dual Channel Memory (SKU - RAM02S)

- 120GB Samsung 840 EVO Series SSD [SSD2 - SATA III] (SKU - SSD083)

- 8X Super Multi DVDRW/CDRW Combo Drive (Sager) (Dual Layer w/ Software) (SKU - ODD099)

- Intel® Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0 (SKU - WIFI98)

- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio

- No Operating System [Drivers & Utility Software Only (Windows 7 & 8.1)]

- Remove All Branding

Both have their cool stuff, XOTIC offers to remove the branding for free, and is way cheaper, while SYSTEM76 have the "windows/mac key" being the "Linux key" which is super nice. I believe both offer the backlight of the keyboard, even though I'm not sure for XOTIC (I read it, but that's seems odd a bit).

By design, it seems to be the exact same computer. The System76 got an upgrade of the processor cause the base is i5 with dual-core and for the same price ($99) you had both i7 2.4 and 2.8 GHz so I picked the 2.8.

Plus, XOTIC offers a better cooling system, so it seems that it is the best to pick but I don't know why I'm just not really sure about it. I also asked the support if there was sale taxes and they answered me only for Nebraska (and I live in California).

So well, I don't really know what to think, if you could help me choose that'd be awesome please...

Here are the links of the computers:
SYSTEM76: https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/kudp1
XOTICPC: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2670-clevo-w670srq-p-6517.html

Hopefully you'll be able to help me. Sorry for the bother,
Timothy Anderson.

Solution

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yeah I completely agree. I've never heard of that first vendor but I'm also guessing that both vendors use rebranded Sager laptops.

TymeToTry

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
Thanks for your answers, why do I have to avoid Intel HD Graphics? And also, I do not have the possibility of upgrading it. Maybe I should see if I can later upgrade it with another, myself?

And for the question, which one do you think should I pick?

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well you just answered your own question there. :lol:

But seriously on laptops you can't really upgrade anything. It's not like you can add a new graphics card or CPU to an existing laptop. And the onboard GPU is about the lowest performing laptop graphics you can get, and shouldn't even really be an option on a $1K+ laptop.

TymeToTry

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
"some gaming such as World of Warcraft and stuff (but not that much)
some video editing - photo editing (but not that much)
A lot of multimedia (movies principally)
A lot of Internet
A lot of typing"

That's what I would use it for... Thus, should I get the Intel HD graphic anyway? And so with which computer? I still prefer the laptop from System76 but mainly because of the Ubuntu key on the keyboard... And paying $160 more for this would be stupid..

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Actually the Haswell processor has integrated graphics the Intel number (4600) can't be changed unless you change processor. No you can add a discrete graphics card from ATI or Nvidia which will give you better performance. Alot of configurable laptops are upgradable especially the higher priced ones like Alienware and MSI. They allow you to select difference processors and/or graphics cards.

TymeToTry

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
That mean that I should pick neither of the two I proposed but the NP7378 that LummusMaximum proposed? Dang! I was thrilled by a backlit keyboard xD

But does it really matter that I get a good graphic card since I will not do a lot of gaming?

By the way, do you know if there are possibilities to replace the window keystroke by a linux one (such as ubuntu's logo)? I don't know why I just got too tired of windows lol

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yes even a low end graphics card will still make your laptop run a lot quicker. The one thing you have to keep in mind when buying a $1K+ laptop is that you cannot put anything into these laptops to extend their life, and they will depreciate in value way faster than they would if you purchase a desktop.

TymeToTry

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
Hello everyone, thanks for the answers.

After discussing with g-unit1111, I got convinced that IdeaPad Y510p 59405668 (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/?iPromoID=bannerY510p&) was the best I should get.

If people read this message, here some interesting stuff I learned from g-unit1111:
"my previous laptop was a Toshiba with a 17" screen and hated the massive size of the thing plus the extended battery - it weighed about twice what my other laptops weighed. I've had 12" laptops, 14" laptops as well as 15.6" and 17.3" laptops, I've found 15.6" with 1080P resolution is the perfect medium."

"On most laptops you'll usually get 2 x 4GB in the RAM configuration, most will be DDR3 1600 SODIMMs, occasionally some will hit the higher speeds."

"Store reviews for the most part are pretty meaningless. There's been countless studies done that show that people are far more likely to leave a negative review for a product than a positive one. [...] I read professional reviews [...]"

Thanks again for your time, I really appreciate. :)

Bye

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

That's a great laptop for the price

+1

Solution

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

He meant the Y510p series, which when you click on it shows the weekly deal.

Sweetlunacy

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
I'd like to know which laptop you went with.
I am looking for one as well and my uses are similar to yours.
17" w/fullsize keyboard. Backlight would be spectacular but I realize it's out of my range.

I play 1 game, heavy typing, heavy, heavy internet and lots of video and audio.

Integrated and intel graphics are unacceptable. AMD/ATI Radeon HD used to be my favorites but somewhere along the line the lifetime of the cards became shorter. Even following the banter about which graphics card is best, I still have no confidence in this extremely important decision.
Would like input.
I have a $2500.00 fantasy with a $900.00 reality.
............. should this be a new thread?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

Yes, it would be best to make a new thread.

TymeToTry

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014

I went with a Lenovo ideapad y510p with 1tb hdd + 24gb sdd full hd screen of 15.6" led antiglare, 8gb memory windows8 and nvidia GeForce gt755m gddr5 2gb for 900$

It has red backlight at two levels of luminosity beside turned off. Red is way better in a dark room. Laptop seems efficient and does not heat too much but still took a fan to put below. So far I don't complain about speed as you will need it. Also I changed the hdd and put it in an enclosure so that i have another external drive, I put a sdd instead (Samsung 120gb extremely fast) and formatted the hybrid sdd to make another storage of 24gb in the laptop.

The total with laptop case. Fan, sdd, laptop was about 1100$
Does it help?

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Good choice, I love my Lenovo Y500P. Definitely one of the best laptops I've ever owned.