News Cyberpunk 2077 disaster continues as Steam players ditch the game

Jan 10, 2021
Cyberpunk 2077 has lost over 75% of its playerbase on Steam, and it's been less than a month since launch.

Cyberpunk 2077 disaster continues as Steam players ditch the game : Read more

It's not so much that Steam players are ditching the game as they are ditching Steam to run it. You can create a shortcut from the game's .exe file, and launch it without having to go through Steam and, subsequently, the Red Launcher that Steam launches instead of the game proper. Steam shows I have played for about 6 hours, but I've easily done more than 200. On my 5th playthrough now. As a result, Steam numbers for the game are probably incredibly inaccurate. PC players are not having the problems with this game that console players are having. How many Steam users have requested refunds? That would be a number worth reporting on.

Reactions: Talion Camisade
Jan 10, 2021
Feels like this article buried the lead in order to prioritize a complete click-bait headline lure. Player use has most likely fallen off because most of those early players have finished the main storyline and moved on (or back) to other games. But I guess that blinding flash of the obvious doesn't draw eyeballs...

While somewhat buggy on PC, none of the bugs I've encountered where at all game breaking, and the positive reviews on Steam are no mystery. It's arguably one of the most engaging FPS/RPGs to hit the market in the last year. It's easy to see that there'll be a huge market for premium DLC, which will also drive new players into the original game, once CDPR gets the rough release polished.

The bigger mystery is how CDPR is going to position that DLC given the way they chose to craft the various endings to CP2077. Those design choices, btw, likely contribute to the significant player falloff numbers, much more than the headline cause you chose to run with. And so what -- it's a boxed game, not the kind of subscription MMOG for which peak simultaneous is an important KPI for gauging ongoing success.

Jan 14, 2021
It's not so much that Steam players are ditching the game as they are ditching Steam to run it. You can create a shortcut from the game's .exe file, and launch it without having to go through Steam and, subsequently, the Red Launcher that Steam launches instead of the game proper. Steam shows I have played for about 6 hours, but I've easily done more than 200. On my 5th playthrough now. As a result, Steam numbers for the game are probably incredibly inaccurate. PC players are not having the problems with this game that console players are having. How many Steam users have requested refunds? That would be a number worth reporting on.
Nobody would find your explanation credible in any dimension.

Jan 14, 2021
Feels like this article buried the lead in order to prioritize a complete click-bait headline lure. Player use has most likely fallen off because most of those early players have finished the main storyline and moved on (or back) to other games. But I guess that blinding flash of the obvious doesn't draw eyeballs...

While somewhat buggy on PC, none of the bugs I've encountered where at all game breaking, and the positive reviews on Steam are no mystery. It's arguably one of the most engaging FPS/RPGs to hit the market in the last year. It's easy to see that there'll be a huge market for premium DLC, which will also drive new players into the original game, once CDPR gets the rough release polished.

The bigger mystery is how CDPR is going to position that DLC given the way they chose to craft the various endings to CP2077. Those design choices, btw, likely contribute to the significant player falloff numbers, much more than the headline cause you chose to run with. And so what -- it's a boxed game, not the kind of subscription MMOG for which peak simultaneous is an important KPI for gauging ongoing success.

Heh, right. The typical gamer is so easily impressed it's not even a joke, that explains the reviews. Other than that you're purely an apologist.

TRENDING THREADS