DAC for Receivers

jesselewis10

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
Are all audio receivers equipped with internal DAC? I have Sony DN1080 with Zone 2 RCA outs. All my input sources use the HDMI inputs on the Sony receiver. But when I try to output to the 2nd zone, I get nothing to my speakers/amp. I have also read that on this receiver the Zone 2 will only play analog audio signals, indicating that there may not be an internal DAC - is this possible? But I also can't get the Bluetooth as source input to output through the Zone 2 RCAs......how is that possible, isn't that an analog signal and what I also read was this is supposed to work for Bluetooth source connection....anyone help?? Many thanks!

Solution
There is a DAC but its for surround sound on zone 1 only.
They would need to add an additional stereo one for zone 2 which they often don't. Devil's in the details.
You could use an external bluetooth receiver that would have analog outputs for your phone.
If any other sources that you want to hear in zone 2 have analog audio outputs then you could connect them to the analog connections on the receiver and assign them to different inputs than the HDMI connections. Those would be available for zone 2.
There is a DAC but its for surround sound on zone 1 only.
They would need to add an additional stereo one for zone 2 which they often don't. Devil's in the details.
You could use an external bluetooth receiver that would have analog outputs for your phone.
If any other sources that you want to hear in zone 2 have analog audio outputs then you could connect them to the analog connections on the receiver and assign them to different inputs than the HDMI connections. Those would be available for zone 2.

Solution