Dac w/Amp Setup to power DT990 250ohm headphones?

AstroMagic

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015
So im looking for a dac w/amp setup both can be separate pieces or a all in one but I really need help finding a cheap solution to power these exact headphones. https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT990-PRO-250ohm-Straight/dp/B010IJ9W1U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490800550&sr=8-3&keywords=Beyerdynamic+DT990+PRO . I have already looked at the schiit stack (M2/M2) but the total would be something like $362 and is a bit steep. If there's another setup with maybe a good 32ohm headphones with a cheap dac w/amp im all in for it as i can't make my decisions on that with what I've found. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
The most straightforward choice is the O2/ODAC combo from JDS Labs or Mayflower Electronics. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could make one yourself.

The O2/ODAC is the best value around, even today, if you want a benchmark class headphone amp and DAC. They run about $250-$280, but you'll never need anything else.

UPDATE: If you're trying to get a setup that's as flat as possible (I.E. works perfectly with everything you throw at it, and responds perfectly to EQ), the DT880s are a better pick. They're some of the best headphones around for both frequency and phase response.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I use a pretty cheap Muse DAC that I got on ebay for like 15 bucks, and it's pretty good. Better than the laptop audio chip for sure. I don't use an amp for my headphones but I use one for my bookshelf speakers, it's a Muse M21, which uses the TA2021 chip, also pretty cheap on ebay, ~50 bucks.

WRXSTIGuy

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014
Take a look at Audioengine D1. I'm not sure if it will have enough power for 250ohms headphones. Another one is Fostex HP-A3. Good thing about these is that they are easily available from Amazon and could be returned if they don't work out.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Originally I tried to get my amp on amazon but they sold out, then I headed to eBay but they didn't have the color I ordered - the Chinese people were nice but their engrish was pretty terrible :-/

the nerd 389

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
The most straightforward choice is the O2/ODAC combo from JDS Labs or Mayflower Electronics. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could make one yourself.

The O2/ODAC is the best value around, even today, if you want a benchmark class headphone amp and DAC. They run about $250-$280, but you'll never need anything else.

UPDATE: If you're trying to get a setup that's as flat as possible (I.E. works perfectly with everything you throw at it, and responds perfectly to EQ), the DT880s are a better pick. They're some of the best headphones around for both frequency and phase response.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS