DAC with coaxial in and hdmi and rca phono out?

andyh2451

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
Hi Guys,
sorry if I've posted in the wrong place. I've been scouring the net to try to find a gadget that will fulfil my needs. I have a new TV with freeview which works fine and a XBMC smart TV box which is also great. The only problem is that I'm routing the audio from the TV headphone output to the audio amp rca phono input. So the sound is ok but I'm aware that this is not the best way to do things. I'm guessing that the DAC in the TV is at best budget quality. So my idea is to run the coaxial signal to a box (DAC?) that has hdmi and rca phono outputs. That way I can run the audio feed from the box to my audio amp and plug the hdmi into the TV. Any ideas for boxes that will do this job?
Thanks in advance,
Andy

Solution

Here's one device. ATSC input with DVI and RCA audio out. I believe it comes with a DVI to HDMI converter; if not you should be able to purchase one inexpensively.

Edit: this might be better: Mediasonic HW-150PVR
Some others.

andyh2451

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
Hi,
the audio would ideally be rca phono out from the gizmo to rca phono in on the audio amplifier. The audio amp only has rca phono inputs, so I'm restricted.
Regards,
Andy

kanewolf

Judicious

But what type input signal? Optical? Digital COAX? HDMI ??

andyh2451

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
Hi,
thanks very much for you help on this. I should have been clearer. I'm trying to find a device that will take an input from my TV arial (dig coax) and give me hdmi output to go to my TV (I know this gives audio and videao but it doesn't matter as I don't need to use the audio on the TV) plus rca phono out (to go to my audio hifi amp). I hope this helps.
Regards,
Andy

kanewolf

Judicious

You really need a digital TV tuner with HDMI output and RCA output for audio ... At least I know what to look for, you may also be able to google such a thing.

BuddhaSkoota

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

Here's one device. ATSC input with DVI and RCA audio out. I believe it comes with a DVI to HDMI converter; if not you should be able to purchase one inexpensively.

Edit: this might be better: Mediasonic HW-150PVR
Some others.

Solution

kanewolf

Judicious

The MediaSonic that BuddhaSkoota linked to looks like what you want. He got the link, but the hard work was making sure we knew what you wanted ....