Dead mobo?

Dec 10, 2018
Hi, I've got an old Toshiba Satellite a205, I used it during my lunch hour, then after class I went to use it and it wouldn't turn on, no lights, no signs of power whatsoever. My initial thought is that the battery went bad, so I took it out and plugged it into the wall, no charging light, nothing. Next thought was a loose connection, opened her up, pulled everything apart and tested the connections. Have continuity all the way through the mobo as far as I could tell with a multimeter. Tried the 30 minute power button trick, nothing, no change. Checked the power button switch, it's good. Thought about the RTC battery, it still has charge.

Anybody else have any ideas? I doubt I'd be able to find a new mobo for this as it's 11 years old.

Thank you very much.

Yep could be the motherboard. From what you did, not much else it could be. I would not bother with getting a new motherboard even if you can find one. A used system 4-5 years old will be better to get and should only be 150-200 for a good model. I like the Lenovo T430s models in that price range. You can copy your files from the drive using a USB enclosure.