Deciding between MSI Ghost Pro and Ghost Pro 4K

AndreC11

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hi Everyone, over the next few days I am going to be making a purchase on a laptop. I was initially thinking the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro (6QE-015AU) as seen here: http://www.kongcomputers.com/product-detail/gamers/msi-gs60-ghost-pro-6qe-015au.aspx however I'm not sure if maybe I should invest a few hundred dollars more and get the 4K edition (6QE-055AU) seen here: http://www.austin.net.au/msi-gs60-6qe-055au-156-uhd-ghost-pro-4k-gamin.html

I am mostly purchasing this to replace my desktop computer, so this will be my primary computer to use for university, (non-extreme) gaming, programming, fun, etc. My concern is that it is not easy to upgrade the screen and GPU in the non-4K version, but it is easy for me to add another 8GB RAM stick to the 4K if I decide I want 16GB RAM sometime in the future.

Solution
The vast majority of laptops do not allow you to upgrade the GPU. You need to do a bit of research to find out if the GTX 970m in those laptops comes in a MXM package. If the answer is "yes', then they can be upgraded.

If you do not have a specific need for a 4k resolution screen, then simply get the one with the 1080p screen. The GTX 970m is not capable of playing games 4k resolution; it's a bit less powerful compared to a desktop GTX 960 which is a $190 USD GPU. You need something like a desktop GTX 980 Ti (roughly $650 USD) to play games at 4k resolution.
The vast majority of laptops do not allow you to upgrade the GPU. You need to do a bit of research to find out if the GTX 970m in those laptops comes in a MXM package. If the answer is "yes', then they can be upgraded.

If you do not have a specific need for a 4k resolution screen, then simply get the one with the 1080p screen. The GTX 970m is not capable of playing games 4k resolution; it's a bit less powerful compared to a desktop GTX 960 which is a $190 USD GPU. You need something like a desktop GTX 980 Ti (roughly $650 USD) to play games at 4k resolution.

Solution