LavaWave

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
I'm deciding between alienware 18 gaming laptop

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-18/pd.aspx

or razer blade pro

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro

I can afford only one of them, anything not above $3,000.00 price range

My current laptop I currently have can't run 3D games well, it mostly lags even on minecraft (especially when loading chunks) so I can't play games on it like GTA IV, Prototype or Saints Row IV, I mainly use my laptop when I am staying out of home for long like a hotel or cruise or the like, otherwise my pc is capable of playing HD games without problems so I am looking for a gaming laptop that could atleast play games like GTA IV with atleast medium graphics on or low with little to no lag as possible, the other problem with my old laptop is it overheats too much and it gets annoying to keep it on the laps (I've had it for years now, probably 3-4 years now, it's an Acer laptop btw) so I would also prefer one that doesn't overheat, any ideas? so far I'm leaning more to Razer blade pro but I've read it overheats easily :/ and Alienware 18 has up to 750GB hard drive.

If there's a third option I would be interested to know to check it out tough

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Corrected a mistake, my bad :|

Solution
Did you just say Alienware 18 has 18GB hard drive...?

Anyway, the 18 is definitely the performer of those two systems, however Alienware laptops are bulky. Very, very bulky, thick, and gaudy with poor battery life. I think Cozmium's solution with OriginPC to be pretty much the best idea. If you do get the Alienware, do so through XoticPC.com, as they offer customisation options rivalling Origin. If you want the Blade Pro, don't. Get an MSI GS70 Stealth instead, it's pretty much the same thing as a Blade Pro but with a large HDD as well as the mSATA, and a slightly faster CPU, and more memory, all for a better price. However, if sheer performance is what you're after, and you don't mind the ugliness or the bulk, OriginPC is for you...

cozmium

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I'd certainly look at originpc.com with a good budget like that - they have some pretty impressive specs and let you completely customise it etc.

Any laptop with decent gfx hardware is gonna run hot if you don't let it breathe - a lot of people expect it to magically find airflow if it's sitting on them. I'm not sure you can find one that 'cannot' overheat - it's how they deal with it that counts. Acers tend to just crash, Dells tend to throttle back speeds whether you like it or not.

LummusMaximus

Honorable
Did you just say Alienware 18 has 18GB hard drive...?

Anyway, the 18 is definitely the performer of those two systems, however Alienware laptops are bulky. Very, very bulky, thick, and gaudy with poor battery life. I think Cozmium's solution with OriginPC to be pretty much the best idea. If you do get the Alienware, do so through XoticPC.com, as they offer customisation options rivalling Origin. If you want the Blade Pro, don't. Get an MSI GS70 Stealth instead, it's pretty much the same thing as a Blade Pro but with a large HDD as well as the mSATA, and a slightly faster CPU, and more memory, all for a better price. However, if sheer performance is what you're after, and you don't mind the ugliness or the bulk, OriginPC is for you. More customisation than Alienware, plus superior customer support (I don't know why anyone buys Alienware laptops, or desktops either).

Solution

LavaWave

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
I may have made a mistake if I said that then, I was looking into the specs and comparing them so if I made a mistake while saying that then sorry about that :/