dell 2100mp projector searching for signal

petes57

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
i've tried to connect my laptop to a projector i inherited when i moved into my house, i bought a new VGA cable and set up a profile on my laptop for the projector. as far as i can tell everything on the laptop is working properly, it even detects the projector, but the projector says it is searching for signal. i bought a VGA/HDMI cable to try next but i dont understand why the projector won't read the signal.

Connect your laptop to the projector using just the VGA cable. In your laptop's graphic control panel, set the projector's display resolution to 800x600 (projector's native resolution) just to see if you get an image. If so, then you can start changing the resolution to see if you can maintain an image at a higher resolution.

-Wolf sends

petes57

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014

I've lowered the resolution, still searching for signal. afterwards should I restart the computer?

petes57

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014

Yes. I've tried it both ways extending the image and duplicating it. Both in Lower resolution.

petes57

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014

Yeah it's in the monitor in port

The only other things I could suggest is testing.

Connect the laptop VGA to a spare monitor to verify the output is working.
Find an old VCR/DVD player that has an S-Video/Composite output. Connect that to the projector to see if those inputs work.

Do you have any of the additional cables that came with the projector?

For reference - Dell 2100MP Projector

-Wolf sends

petes57

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014

I used a vga to vga to my tv and that worked and an old school yellow cable from the projector to the vga port on my laptop and same results my computer well switch to low res to accommodate the projector but the projector will just say searching for signal

Sep 3, 2014
I really appreciate peters57 n wolfshadw analyzing almost all the possibilities, but after reading all post I will like to suggest some thing out of my experience, it may sound little silly but try it once. In some projectors the port on back are not correctly designed and hence the vga cable might not be going 100% in to the slot, so it might be not getting signal, please try inserting the vga cable 100% on projector, see if some thing is obstructing it , if so try to push and insert the cable, and you are done.

Awaiting your reply..