Dell 7370 turns off every time I close the lid

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesclayton

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
When the power cable is not plugged in, the laptop restarts every time I close the lid. I've installed the latest BIOS as well as graphics, CPU and other drivers using dell command update.
As mentioned above, the problem only happens when not plugged into power, and when the laptop is charging, everything functions normally.
When I am on the BIOS screen it doesn't sleep when the lid is closed.
I've also changed all of the windows power options so that in any state closing the lid should put the laptop into sleep mode.
Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated at this point, I'm becoming increasingly exasperated with this problem.

Solution
Just wanted to make sure you addressed all the areas of the power settings. There is more then one location where the behavior is configured.

Try taking it out of allowing it to go into sleep mode for testing. Change the power plan to High Performance and disable hibernation and sleep. Also in the advanced settings under hard disk there an is option that says "turn off disk after 20 minutes". Turn this off also.

Now if you close the lid is the system still rebooting?

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
It sounds just like Windows Power settings. What OS version are you on?

In the search bar on the start menu type "power settings" on Windows 10 it will be the 2nd option down, it says "change what closing the lid does"

It's most likely set to shut down or go into sleep\hibernation or something.

You can also search again for power settings and go to "choose plan" then advance settings in your plan. There is also other options in the advanced like, how to act when it is plugged into power brick and how to act when its on battery.

jamesclayton

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017

As mentioned in the question, I've changed all of the windows power options settings to put the laptop into sleep mode when the lid is closed

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Just wanted to make sure you addressed all the areas of the power settings. There is more then one location where the behavior is configured.

Try taking it out of allowing it to go into sleep mode for testing. Change the power plan to High Performance and disable hibernation and sleep. Also in the advanced settings under hard disk there an is option that says "turn off disk after 20 minutes". Turn this off also.

Now if you close the lid is the system still rebooting?

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.