Question Dell 7567 dead

Jan 21, 2021
Hello, I have a dell 7567 laptop that inexplicably died on me (It was connected to charger, battery is in good condition) while I was gaming on it, and now refuses to turn on (no power, no lights or noises; just a little buzz by the dc jack as I plug in the charger).

Things to note,

It lost power suddenly, while connected to the charger, and now refuses to turn back on.

The charger has a light when connected to the power outlet, as soon as I plug in the charger, the light goes off, and then I need to disconnect the charger from the computer and unplug and plug it into the power outlet to make the charger light come back up.
When the dc jack is disconnected from the motherboard, then the charger light remains on (maybe motherboard issue after all?)

The temps were fine (~70-75) before the shutdown.

All my other electronics are fine, I guess it couldn’t be bad voltage.

Around two weeks ago I introduced a new ram module (previously it was 8gb sodimm ddr4 @2400mhz, I put in the empty slot another one of those). And the laptop had been performing good.

Two days previous the laptop dying I did a repaste and thermal pad change (3rd time doing it, last one was a year ago). Maybe I fucked something up this time? But then, the laptop ran fine for a whole two days…

I tried turning on the laptop on only battery, on only dc power, without all the modules connected (ram, hdd,sdd…, keyboard, dc jack, etc…) draining residual power too.

AlHuneke

Notable
Jul 7, 2020
I suspect your motherboard is toasted (the internal power supply). The light going out on the charger when plugged in would support that notion. Given that you were playing when it died, is the any chance the battery is drained? It could be the case the charger went bad and the battery was drained. If you could borrow another charger to try, that would point to the motherboard or charger for sure.

I'm not a big fan of repasting as I see too many "I did such and such and now my laptop doesn't work". Unless you are careful about anti-static precautions (ESD) you can damage components. This does not always show up immediately (look up latent ESD failure).

Jan 21, 2021
Thanks for your time. The battery was fully charged and in good condition (20% wear) when the laptop died. Nothing throughout those days was unordinary and all components seemed to work fine, even the temps remained the same even though it was a new repaste; which proves how avoidable this was :confused_old: (If the issue is ESD failure ofcourse).

Thank you for the anti-static precautions, 1st time reading about that. I'm really careful when handling my electronics, I'll take that into account the next time I'm repairing electronics.
Would that type of damage be repairable, or repair people wouldn't bother and just tell me to get a new board?

AlHuneke

Notable
Jul 7, 2020
Depends on the tech . In general, I think most (including factory service) would just replace the motherboard. Figuring out exactly what is wrong is not as easy as just replacing the MB. However, given your description, the problem should be pretty easy to narrow down. Maybe you can find a tech that will repair it. If you send it to Dell for repair, keep in mind they will likely erase the hard drive. Good luck!

Reactions: Porchman

ASK THE COMMUNITY