Solved! Dell 7737 second hdd

Nov 5, 2018
Hi all,
Dell 7737, fresh windows 10 home.
I recently installed a SSD. The old hdd (WD Blue 1Tb) is in a caddy in the dvd bay.
The caddy has a small switch... in one position the hdd cannot be seen in File explorer but can it is in bios and disk management. With the switch in the second position, hdd is working (I thought I had succeeded) BUT my CPU is used at 20% (kentel system...).
What is happening? I have read all the posts with issues with a second drive but I’m lost.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Solution
Could you please pass on the make and model of the HDD caddy? Ideally since the SSD doesn't drop much heat, you should've dropped the SSD into the HDD caddy in the DVD bay and the mechanical drive in it's original spot.

Furthermore, you should also know, that there should be three notches on the switch to the side of that caddy. Try placing it in it's default position when the caddy first arrived. Are you also on the latest BIOS update for your laptop?

Lutfij

Splendid
Could you please pass on the make and model of the HDD caddy? Ideally since the SSD doesn't drop much heat, you should've dropped the SSD into the HDD caddy in the DVD bay and the mechanical drive in it's original spot.

Furthermore, you should also know, that there should be three notches on the switch to the side of that caddy. Try placing it in it's default position when the caddy first arrived. Are you also on the latest BIOS update for your laptop?

Solution
Nov 5, 2018
Hi, thanks for your quick post.
The Bios is the latest available (16),
The caddy is a generic (item 261546592218 eBay) that is advertised for Dell 7737. The switch has only two positions.
DONE:
I swapped drives with the same faulty result: with the caddy’s switch in one position one of the drives was not in files explorer and with the switch in the second position the cpu was at 20% at least.
From the bios I disable the intel storage drivers but it did not work.
I placed the hdd back in the dvd caddy, the ssd in the main slot and run the disk management again: both disks were there but only the ssd was visible in the file explorer. The caddy switch in the position where the kennel process was not showed and the cpu running under 1%.
From the disk management I just assigned a letter to the hdd and now everything works as intended.
Simple solution in fact. I’m happy I did not surrender.