Question Dell Alienware 13 R2 won't boot from USB

Sep 28, 2019
I have an old Alienware 13 (I believe it's an R2) that I'm trying to fix up. I stopped using it when a RAM chip went bad and it stopped detecting a bootsble OS on the 500GB HDD. I'm trying to either repair the Windows 10 installation on the HDD or format it and reinstall windows (assuming I can find the Windows serial or Dell recovery key thing) but everything I've read implies that I need to boot with a recovery media (I'm using a USB) to do so.

I've created a bootsble USB using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool directly and also using an ISO and Rufus. I'm able to boot from the USB on other devices, but when I boot on the Alienware it loads the windows 10 logo and a loading circle and then hangs there until the laptop eventually restarts and the cycle repeats.

I've double checked my Bios boot settings and the flash drive has a light that flashes when it's being read from or written too so I'm almost certain the bootsble USB is being loaded, I just can't get past the loading screen to repair my windows installation or otherwise.

I've Google and searched forums as extensively as I know how, but any fix I can find for the black screen loading circle issue is when it appears when booting from a local drive and involves using a bootsble USB or equivalent to fix it. I'm not sure what could be causing it or how to move forward with the attempted repair without being able to boot from USB.

Any advice is appreciated, I can provide any additional information that I can get access to if necessary. Especially if someone can provide instructions on how to get it.

Thanks for your time

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AntmanMcLean Laptop Tech Support 1
RegisZDB Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 3
Tull Laptop Tech Support 0
N Laptop Tech Support 2
Crazy_dentist Laptop Tech Support 4
Ri'spoon Laptop Tech Support 1
Chronstell Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1