Dell and HP Poke Fun At Apple, iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Quote from unnamed partner: "On the tablet side, why wouldn't you just get an iPad?"

For the same reason that not everybody is getting iPhones, buddy. As great as Apple's iPad may be, there are legitimate reasons to go somewhere else. That being said, it does seem like about 50% of the non-iPad tablet market is overpriced junk and another 25% is correctly-priced junk.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I was in an Apple store asking questions about the iPad 2 and was very surprised to find out that, although the iPad can be loaded with music from iTunes, it cannot sync with an iPod. How ironic would it be if a Windows 7 tablet would sync with an iPod, which seems fairly reasonable since any Windows computer can already do this.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
They should first make decent products themselves before bashing what their competitors are doing.
They just don't understand what the consumer actually wants. Openness is meaningless to 99% of the potential customers. What the consumer cares about is apps apps and more apps.

[citation][nom]husker[/nom]I was in an Apple store asking questions about the iPad 2 and was very surprised to find out that, although the iPad can be loaded with music from iTunes, it cannot sync with an iPod. How ironic would it be if a Windows 7 tablet would sync with an iPod, which seems fairly reasonable since any Windows computer can already do this.[/citation]

That's obviously a killer feature that every tablet needs to have...

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
molo9000, you see this is exactly what you don't understand. You are correct that 99% of users don't care about openness. But a lack of openness restricts them from doing what they want. And this they do care about. This is extremely common in tech. 99% of the people don't care about FFTs, but they sure do care about being able to watch HD content from a single disc.

It's becoming increasingly common that I show a non-tech savvy friend something I've done on my droid, they think it's cool and ask me if I can do it on their iphone, and I have to explain to them that it's impossible because apple won't let me do it. This restricts the "apps, apps and more apps", thus potential customers do care about openness, even if not directly.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
^ I can show anyone something my device can do that there's can't. Doesn't mean a thing as there's always going to be advantages to anything.

I'd lime to know which Android phone you have, which version of Android you have and which iPhone your friend had. Then I'd like to know specifically what you showed him that he couldn't do.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I could agree. Openness only matter to those only who knows, such as visitors of TH.
Yes, apps matter but it is also the simplicity and ease of use as a whole.
I'm sounding like an Apple fan but if the competition wants to join in, they must create very well thought out products that just works and seamless with other systems.

[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]They should first make decent products themselves before bashing what their competitors are doing.They just don't understand what the consumer actually wants. Openness is meaningless to 99% of the potential customers. What the consumer cares about is apps apps and more apps.That's obviously a killer feature that every tablet needs to have...[/citation]

G

Wow, Apple fanboys have no limit. Did you just wake up and miss the last decade? What do you think Apple was doing for years in their Mac vs. PC commercials?

How dare anyone make fun of my beloved Apple! Kill them all!!! Ha

Unperson

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Apple lost the PC wars to Windows because 90% of all computer users were tech nerds (I was one of them). Back then, I had to concede that Apple had a superior OS on stable hardware running great software; but it was expensive and closed off. I stayed with Windows because I liked having the access to hardware options and OS/software tweaking.

Today, the portable market is made up of a greater percentage of the "average Joe" types. They aren't as interested in seeing the Wizard behind the curtain. They're comfortable just knowing he is there and that the show will go on. Because of this, Apple won't topple as easily this time. I still believe an open community (such as android) is better, but I'm not part of the majority as I was during the PC/Apple war.

BTW, I'm buying my first android tablet within the next month; but my wife is buying an iPad. Oh, the inhumanity.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Dell & HP are.... lazy. So very, very lazy

HP Slate 500 & Dell Duo are the best you can both do and DON'T blame Windows 7. Asus got off of it's behind and released the (nearly perfect - battery life) Asus EP121 which could possibly be the finest Windows Slate money can buy. The screen is perfect, extra bright, responsive and very easy to use with touch. (Entire clean install, drivers, domain join, installs, config, all with my pinkies).

What do you guys do? Slate (Did you see what I did there) Apple. Well done. Although i don't appreciate apple as they are evil and treat their customers like fools, how about you (Dell, HP) actually release something of worth instead of showing us pictures and nothing more. Web OS? Good luck with that. Any machine that hits this company will have that bloat removes. Dell... (Sounds of wind moving past)

Don't be lazy, innovate.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
What those people said is true, but to have some weight to those arguments they could do with bringing out a product that competes well with the iPad first.

The whole debate between Apple fans and non-Apple fans is the modern iteration of the whole 'the king has no clothes on' story.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]...That's obviously a killer feature that every tablet needs to have...[/citation]
I don't care whether it has "killer features" or not. I care about whether a device meet my needs, as any intelligent consumer should. Unless, of course, you are just buying something to show off to the world how cool you are, with your "killer features" and all.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]That's obviously a killer feature that every tablet needs to have...[/citation]
Yes, you bloody puppet, having unrestricted access to my own content is a killer feature, that renders all Apple products pretty much dead for me.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]I don't care whether it has "killer features" or not. I care about whether a device meet my needs, as any intelligent consumer should. Unless, of course, you are just buying something to show off to the world how cool you are, with your "killer features" and all.[/citation]
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Yes, you bloody puppet, having unrestricted access to my own content is a killer feature, that renders all Apple products pretty much dead for me.[/citation]
Why is syncing your iPad with an iPod so important? Is syncing it with your PC so difficult? Why use it as a music player in the first place if you have an iPod?

A tablet is an entertainment device or a toy, not a productivity device. It's not supposed to do everything. It's supposed to do a few things well. What really matters is quality software and a great user experience.

All iPad software is specifically written for the iPad. What device to Android coders design their software for? What screen aspect ratio? What screen diagonal? what resolution? What processor? what graphics chip?

Openness sounds positive, but a closed system can offer a better user experience.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Wow, this is some funny crap from those other companies!
[Note: I own PCs and Thinkpads - no Mac computers or iPhone, but a new iPad owner]

Yeah, Dell and HP have Apple cornered in the corporate tablet market with their non-existant products! Apple created the market that MS has failed to do in 10 years.

Dell depends on Android and for the most part - what little they have is only available from their website. My Galaxy-S phone doesn't sync/work with my Windows7 computer (same with most Galaxy users) - so I had to buy an 8GB memory card and adapter to xfer photos and music between the two. I'm not impressed - crappy software and drivers. Yet, my 3 year old STUPID Sony phone works just fine. (Yes, this is more of a Samsung problem than Android)

Lark of Dell said:
they’ve got a great product, but the challenge they’ve got is that already Android is outpacing them

Yes, if you ARE talking about phones. In general, I like my Android phone. We're talking tablets here, moron. Even as of today, there isn't a good competing product yet - but in 2-5 years there should be. So until then, why bother with the dinky Streak?

In 12 months, Apple has sold over 17 million iPads, way more than anyone else over the past 10 years. The 7" Dell streak is not sold at bestbuy, much less anywhere else. $400 for the 5" model and $450 for the 7"? For my business needs, they would not work. Screen is too small.

And if you have an issue with HP, you can pick up the phone and talk to someone.
Yeah, someone from India. And what would that person tell an owner of the HP tablet? I know "sorry sir, I cannot help you with your HP tablet as they are not on the market" About the
HP is very channel friendly
business. That is business. Customers / end users don't care. We don't see that side... and its not like HP is some sort of Awesome company that everyone loves.

We bought an iPad because it WORKED, easy to use and price fine. There was no competing product we could use and there is still nothing today. XOOM requires a subscription to even work - how stupid.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Apple etc... but for a tablet - they set the bar.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]^ I can show anyone something my device can do that there's can't. Doesn't mean a thing as there's always going to be advantages to anything.I'd lime to know which Android phone you have, which version of Android you have and which iPhone your friend had. Then I'd like to know specifically what you showed him that he couldn't do.[/citation]

Well, personally, I've got the new HTC Thunderbolt. I replaced my much loved iPhone 3G, and I've got a couple friends with the iPhone 4.

What I can do that they can't?

* Unrooted/Un-jailbroken video call on 3G or 4G alone. (No Wifi, and yes, I can do this even on 3G).
* Plug my phone in to any PC and copy over movies and music without needing to have 3rd party crapware (itunes) installed.
*Use Flash based games/websites

*Upgrade the storage capacity of my phone (Removable SD card, though it came stock with 32GB.)

*Replace the battery without complete disassembly (obviously will need to do this, w/ the crap battery life my phone has)

*Pwn any version of iPhone. (duh, winning)

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Why is syncing your iPad with an iPod so important? Is syncing it with your PC so difficult? Why use it as a music player in the first place if you have an iPod?A tablet is an entertainment device or a toy, not a productivity device. It's not supposed to do everything. It's supposed to do a few things well. What really matters is quality software and a great user experience.All iPad software is specifically written for the iPad. What device to Android coders design their software for? What screen aspect ratio? What screen diagonal? what resolution? What processor? what graphics chip?Openness sounds positive, but a closed system can offer a better user experience.[/citation]
Yes, I do see your point - to a degree. I am looking at getting a tablet device for my girlfriend who is completely computer illiterate and she loves the idea of an iPad. She also has an iPod and uses my PC to sync her tunes. She doesn't want a laptop or netbook. Giving her one of these would be taken as a sign that either I don't listen to her or don't care (I'm sure you know what I mean). So I want to give her a device that meets her simple needs and make her happy. The iPad comes so close, yet for some strange reason, isn't capable of something which seems so simple, and as I pointed out, will likely be possible with other tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.