Solved! Dell Bios Upgraded to 1.9.1: Can I Safely Downgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2021
I have a Dell XPS 7590, which has well-known fan-noise problem and which I resolved by going to Dell Power Manager, choosing the Thermal Management tab, and selecting the Quiet option.

I updated the bios to 1.9.1 last night in response to an update notice from Dell labeling it "urgent".

But ever since I did, my fan has been in overdrive. When I was on 1.8.1 my laptop was quiet as a whisper 98% of the time. Now it sounds like I'm using it on a plane.

I am seriously considering downgrading back to 1.8.1. Does anyone see any real danger in my doing so, specifically, are there fixes in 1.9.1 I absolutely need? As I read about the upgrade, it doesn't really look like it?

Feb 7, 2021
You know what? Never mind about this. I went ahead and rolled back the bios to 1.8.1 anyway because I couldn't take the constant fan noise, and it completely solved the problem.

Turns out the BIOS update was supposed to sacrifice a quiet fan for performance. In a description of the fixes and enhancements here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...4&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-7590-laptop

This is listed under enhancements:

- Updated the Thermal Algorithm to enhance the performance of the system. (Italics mine.)

This is very different from what was listed as an enhancement under 1.8.1, which simply said:

- Updated the Thermal Algorithm.

This tells me that Dell specifically intended to sacrifice fan quiet in exchange for "enhanced performance", whatever that means.

It's too bad, but hey, it's Dell's product and they can do what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.