Dell CEO: WP7 Easier to Develop For Than Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
No shit, it's always easier to develop for something, which can understand multiple languages.

Android still is a great OS, it's just that google screwed it up with java. Why couldn't they just make an SDK (doesn't matter with what kind of language) and leave it open for C/C++. It's linux underneath it anyway, so it could take almost anything you throw at it, except for the stuff that's made by MS and the rotten apple.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Microsoft has been promoting operating systems that developers can harness since DOS using GWBASIC. Their concept is correct...

Dont make someone use the computer the way you want, give them the ability to use it the way they want.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]No shit, it's always easier to develop for something, which can understand multiple languages.Android still is a great OS, it's just that google screwed it up with java. Why couldn't they just make an SDK (doesn't matter with what kind of language) and leave it open for C/C++. It's linux underneath it anyway, so it could take almost anything you throw at it, except for the stuff that's made by MS and the rotten apple.[/citation]

Android has the NDK, which in theory lets you compile and run C/C++ code.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Android still is a great OS, it's just that google screwed it up with java.[/citation]
Disregarding the odd knee-jerk responses regarding time-critical applications and Java performance it's really a vastly superior language compared to C and derivatives.

It's by no means perfect mind you but it shows a more modern outlook on programming. No manual stack and memory handling, no worrying about software forcing buffer overflows or the like and each process runs its own VM on Android.

Not to mention that apps made in Java would work out-of-the-box. without tweaking or recompilation, on any kind of hardware platform running Android.

C has its uses, certainly, but it's not really suitable to most applications running on todays mobile platforms.

Anyway, as regards to the article it's fairly trivial to make a tongue-in-cheek remark regard developing for WP7. Since the OS currently supports exactly one GPU and one screen size and allow for little to no software customization it's easy to see why it'd be easier to deal with than Android.

It's pretty much the console vs. PC development comparison at this point.

G

I've spent 40-50 hours a week developing for Android for over a year now. I just got my first app approved on the WP7 marketplace.

WP7 is significantly easier to develop for.

* VS2010 is FAR superior to Eclipse with Googles magic ADT plugin (talk about IDE issues!). Eclipse is good for plain java - but as soon as your add in Googles plugin it has a lot of issues. Refresh issues with APK Library links still get to me. VS2010 will never delete all my code for no reason. The last ADT update I did deleted half my code base (look at the release notes for the last ADT eclipse plugin, I am serious about this)

* XAML has been established with WPF and Silverlight. It is far better than writing magicsauce UI XML for Android that get inflated out.

* VS2010 has built in XAML support (and intellisense), and Blend exists to support XAML as well. Android has a really god awful plugin for Android that is more than useless. The editing of the magicsauce XML makes no sense when you need to set more complex attributes on your EditText....

* On Android I get only ~16MB of RAM allocated to my process. The Activity lifecycle and activity vs application contexts is much more convoluted and complex then WP7s solution.

* The .Net framework available for WP7 is superior than what Java / Android offer. Example: WCF exists for connecting to web services in WP7. Android you have to track down external ksoap2 or equivalent type of packages. That is just one example, there are many.

* The SD card on Android is basically free for all. There is no rhyme or reason to what happens on that thing. I've learned you can't count on doing anything on that for your app.

I could go on but I'm tired and have somewhere to be. I still develop for Android, but WP7 *does* provide a much better development environment and toolset.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]theazdude[/nom]I could go on but I'm tired and have somewhere to be. I still develop for Android, but WP7 *does* provide a much better development environment and toolset.[/citation]

No, please continue, my popcorn just came out of the microwave!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]exodite[/nom]Disregarding the odd knee-jerk responses regarding time-critical applications and Java performance it's really a vastly superior language compared to C and derivatives.It's by no means perfect mind you but it shows a more modern outlook on programming. [/citation]

lol, if by 'modern' you mean 'lazy'

and besides, c++ lets you do all of that auto memory management (auto dealloc, auto overflow checking) stuff yourself anyway if you want to, thus it's preferable.

anyway, my issue isn't so much WHICH language to support. but HOW MANY. where the best answer is ONE! ONE standard across all the platforms!!

yes WP7 is WAY WAY WAY easier to develop for than Android.

right up to the point where you decide you want to PORT something to or from WP7. then you find that C# is ONLY supported on WP7, and the WP7 tool chain makes it a massive pain in the arse to integrate with an existing, multi platform tool chain you might have...

Android and iPhone might be a pain with their multiple languages, but atleast that means you can port between them (and just about every other platform) without having to COMPLETELY REWRITE the ENTIRE code base, and then maintain two code bases...

so as much of a pain it might be to get iPhone and Android dev up and running, at least once you got your tools and wrappers and engine all set up, its a breeze... with WP7, you will FOREVER be cursed with having to write all your code TWICE... do all your bug fixes TWICE...

but yes, if starting from scratch, and only developing for WP7, the WP7 dev process is by far the easiest of all smartphone platforms (assuming they polish their extremely rushed tools)

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I wonder what is the cost of entry to become a developer for WP7? So far I spend $0 on Android development.

Also I wonder what are the limitation on the Visual Studio 2010 'Express' edition vs the 'Professional' edition in terms of WP7 development? Is there something that you cannot do or cannot easily do in the Express edition?

With Android SDK and Eclipse, I get everything up front and for free.

oafed

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
A free IDE only makes a difference for garage developers hoping to make a million bucks writing fart apps, tip calculators, and unit converters. I almost wish VS2010 didn't have a free version so we could eliminate the scum layer in the marketplace.

VS2010 express does more for WP7 than Eclipse and ADT do for Android. Obviously the paid versions of Visual Studio will give you more analysis tools, etc....

G

Ive coded wpf...c#....used expression blend ...3..4..still. even with the headache i see better long term opportunities with android. And the less devs here and at win pho land... the chances of success i have.

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Heh, but of course WP7 is simpler to work with than Android. Just compare MS Office to OpenOffice or Windows to Linux. Open source programs are near useless for anything beyond the tech-obsessed private home user. Enterprises need stable and conistently supported quality products, none of which open source freeware is.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@oafed: I'm no developer - but your elitist crap boggles the mind. Having to PAY to be a developer? To program something? To create stuff?
I don't buy the FSF kool-aid, but your comment makes me want to grow a beard and go all RMS on your sorry @$$.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tulx[/nom]Enterprises need stable and conistently supported quality products, none of which open source freeware is.[/citation]
What is the most used web server?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]What is the most used web server?[/citation]

Who are web servers maintained by?

[citation]the tech-obsessed[/citation]

What is the most used operating system?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Android does look a bit complex, i know nothing about Java development and only know C++ basics. It makes sense that WP7 will be easier to code for. But from what i've heard, Chrome OS and Android may be fusing in the (far) future so maybe they will consolidate the platform into something easier.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]lol, if by 'modern' you mean 'lazy'and besides, c++ lets you do all of that auto memory management (auto dealloc, auto overflow checking) stuff yourself anyway if you want to, thus it's preferable.[/citation]
So your argument is that C and derivatives is more 'hardcore'? Seeing as your use of 'lazy' implies that doing more work to accomplish the same thing is better.

I can't argue with C being more 'hardcore', that's more or less my point. It's less suitable for application development than Java. It has its niche in OS development and time-critical software, not in the kind of application development that make up the vast majority of user software.

Sadly you're also mistaken if you believe having a choice of enforcing strict checking or not is a good thing. C is bad because you can thrash memory freely, not good because you may choose to do so.

In the end this kind of argumentation only leads to the inevitable conclusion that everything should be written in assembler because it's faster and clunkier, thus more 'hardcore'. Ignoring the fact that it's also far more error-prone, open to abuse, costly to maintain and impossible to re-use.

I'm not bashing your for having a different outlook on development mind you, you're certainly entitled to that. I'm merely having a hard time envisioning a real-world scenario where yours would be more practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.