Dell D6430. Black screen but powering ON and HDD working.

mykail

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
Hi,
Patient is corporate Dell Latitude E6430. Warranty is over unfortunately.

Here's what happens:
When I turn ON the laptop the screen is dark/OFF, same goes for VGA and HDMI output.
Everything else seems to work: fans, HDD (sounds of needle reading data), LEDs, DVD-ROM.

I already unplugged CMOS battery, swapped RAM, reseated panel cables and still nothing.
Dell's BIST test goes through meaning the LCD is OK (I read BIST goes without using on-board GPU, don't know if that's true).
Additionally I checked with small flashlight to see if the backlight of LCD is dead but there was nothing on the screen.

Is it possible the GPU in the CPU is dead? The CPU is i5-3320M and no discrete GPU.

How many of you had similar issues? Can I run further tests to see what's going on or is my only option to mount different CPU and see what happens?

Thanks for your input.
mik

mykail

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
Getting back to the topic. I know it's been a while. But the laptops had time to rest o bit.

@up: yes, I tried HDMI/VGA at that time (2016)

Today new facts. Laptops were on a shelf for 2 years.

I tried laptop #1 and was able to get to ePSA (fn+PWR) All tests completed OK. Panel and external HDMI working OK.
On laptop #2 still no signs of life for LCD Panel.

After powering down #1 and trying to get to ePSA again, it does not. BIST runs OK with RGB flashing.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Maybe temperature problems/overheating?