Dell E1505 screen goes black when plugged to AC Adapter @ 100% brightness

Shiv V

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
I tried the above test. The screen stays on at 20%, 50%, and 80%. But when I go to 100% bright, it flickers and then goes dark. Is it a hardware or drivers issue? I have ATI Radeon X1400. Thanks!

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I had a 6-year old E1705 with the X1400 and it started doing similar a similar thing before totally losing display altogether back in 2012. But I also had vertical lines starting to appear, a sure sign of a dying LCD screen. You say you have it plugged into the wall, so it wouldn't be a setting accidentally changed like battery power saver mode (which runs the display at a lower brightness).

Sounds to me like it's your LCD bulb (GFT - or gas flourescent tube) if your screen is okay otherwise. It is not something to replace for the non-technical person. If you can't connect it to a monitor and run it that way, you probably need to plan on buying a new one as a repair on this old of a laptop just wouldn't be worth the money...and it's only a matter of time before you lose that screen display altogether.

Shiv V

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks! I've sorta resigned to the fact that the this computer won't last long. I had replaced the X1400 last summer after getting the blue screen of death and it worked fine till now. So there are no drives-based solution for this? Maybe missing an upgrade or something? When on battery it works fine, but when plugged in and at 100% brightness, it starts to flicker. Like you said, likely that the LCD is fried. Thanks again!