Dell E5400 w/ New Hard Drive Takes Long Time to Install Windows

buster25

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
There is this Dell Latitude E5400 with a performance issue.I would freeze when going to Lock Screen and not respond when Ctrl - Alt- Del. I thought it might be the hard drive. So I got another new warranty hard drive. Everything went okay with the Windows 7 Pro x64 install. BTW, it has 4 GB RAM. I ran Windows Update - it said there was like 160 updates to be current. I started the updating but noticed about 45 minutes into it that it was getting really slow. Like it would not take the updates. I let this go on for three hours, much longer than usual. I scratched this idea and decided to use CloneZilla. I'd clone it to Windows XP. OK. So I'm all set to go with CloneZilla and it reports it will take 5 hours to restore the image to the new hard drive. This is very unusual because it normally takes about 10 minutes. All this time, no blue screen of death or any feedback. It's like its on Prozac. Really really slow.

I left the office today with the laptop installing Windows XP from a CD. I left the installer where it's in the blue screen copying things to the hard drive-- .dlls and stuff. This CD install too was experiencing really slow performance. This copying step was like an hour and a half into it when i left. The drive is NTFS quick formatted.

I'm wondering where to take this next...
Could it be BIOS or motherboard related?
Maybe RAM?
Could the CPU be overheating?

Ideas?
Thanks