Question Dell G5 15 5590 - Horrible performance in battery-mode (RTX 2060 locked @ 300MHz)

Jun 30, 2020
Hello,
I recently got the G5 with RTX 2060.
Its working great but there is 1 problem:
As soon as I use the laptop in battery-mode the GPU is locked at 300 MHz (960 MHz is normal base speed, boost speed is close to 1250 MHz ).
This means that I can't play even older games bc it is simply unplayable with the GPU being locked at not even a third of normal speed..
I also can't even watch TV via DVBT2-stick.

I tried forcing it to run in normal speed by selecting high performance profile in Dell Power Manager, Alien Ware Command Center etc.
It did not change anything.

I am running out of options...

Does anyone know what can I do to get the laptop to run at normal speed in battery-mode?
There must be some way bc I have seen a review of this laptop on YT & the tester played witcher 3 in battery mode & the RTX 2060 was running at normal speed.

Do u think it would be save if I use MSI Afterburner or some other OC-tool to create a profile 4 battery-mode?
TBH I am somehow afraid to add more then 600 MHz eventhough I know that the normal speed is 960 MHz^^

I am not sure about what to do & I only have 4 days left to return the laptop b4 the 14-days-return time window closes.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank u.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 21
M Laptop Tech Support 4
P Laptop Tech Support 1
Dravenzo Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 5
T Laptop Tech Support 1